Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> on 2012/10/31 22:54:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove Penny from contrib

I propose we remove Penny from contrib.  Currently it does not compile in trunk.  Looking through the commit logs no significant work has been done on it since it was initially committed.  There are 3 open JIRAs that reference it ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+PIG+AND+%28summary+%7E+penny+OR+description+%7E+penny%29+AND+status+%3D+Open ).  At this point I do not think anyone is using it or maintaining it.

If someone is interested in moving this piece forward I would propose we move it to Apache Extras or something similar.

Alan.

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove Penny from contrib

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Just removing it doesn't require any more than what we have done.  Based on the discussion I've seen so far I plan on submitting a patch that does an svn rm on the directory.

If we want to put the code somewhere outside of Apache, then we have to formally vote as a PMC to spin it out.  That's because we're legally releasing the code from being part of Pig and Apache to become an outside entity.  Our bylaws state that we require a 2/3 majority of the PMC to vote for adoption of a new code base.  This seems like the closest action to discontinuing a section of the code, so I would assert it is the best criteria to use.

I wouldn't be in favor of dumping it on github unless someone expresses active interest.  If someone comes along in the future and expresses that interest we can still easily do it.  The code will live "forever" in Apache's SVN.

Alan.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@twitter.com>.
Sad but +1