Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by sorinev <so...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/30 22:28:39 UTC

Migration from 1.4.17 to 7.3

I'm updating the web portion of our server application from ancient 1.4.17 to
shiny new 7.3. There are about 225 files and I've gotten through a lot of
them (mass find/replace, woo hoo) but I've hit a few snags that are not only
difficult to find information on in regards to upgrade, but that I don't
know a whole lot about.

====
= 1 =
====

I know compressedresourcereference was removed, but I'm not sure what to
replace the code with. For example, in one file there are these two lines:

in the class member declaration area, and

in the constructor. What do these two lines get replaced with?

====
= 2 =
====

We extend a few AJAX components. Two of them have this, which I'm not
entirely sure how to replace since I'm very inexperienced in front end
stuff.

Same goes for extending AjaxLink.

We also have a timer that extends  and has this:

Which is missing from the superclass now, so I'm not sure how to update it.

Also, renderHead of AbstractDefaultAjaxBehavior seems to have changed a bit;
it now takes a Component, which I'm not sure what to do with since it didn't
exist in the older version. This specific extension of
AbstractDefaultAjaxBehavior was for a javascript item, so at the end of
renderHead it had

Which does not exist anymore, it's just render(HeaderItem header) now, so
I'm not sure how to update this. The first string was actual javascript and
the second appears to have been an id.

====
= 3 =
====

The "Resource" stuff doesn't seem to exist anymore, which we extended to
make a couple of new classes, so I'm not sure what to do with these. They
extended DynamicWebResource and WebResource, and in their methods there are
references to classes like Resource and ResourceState. Their major function
seems to relate to setting a filename on an AttachmentHeader. There are
several instances where we have a HashMap whose value is one of these
extended DynamicWebResource / WebResource classes.

====
= 4 =
====

We had a class that extended WebRequestCycleProcessor and its sole function
was to extend "respond(RequestCycle)" in order to build the proper url to
redirect http pages to https pages that required SSL. I did not see any
references to this class either in the java code or in any text file (config
files, for example), so I'm not sure if it was in use or not. But in any
case, the replacement seems to be just adding this to the init() method of
our AuthenticatedWebApplication class?

Really appreciate any help with all this stuff, thanks.

Re: Migration from 1.4.17 to 7.3

Posted by sorinev <so...@gmail.com>.
Since the previous way of doing it was never referenced, I figured I'd
comment the new way out and see what happened. It works like it should. So I
guess the previous class extension and overriding must have been something
that was tried and later abandoned but not deleted.

Re: Migration from 1.4.17 to 7.3

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Is your login page annotated with @RequireHttps ?

Re: Migration from 1.4.17 to 7.3

Re: Migration from 1.4.17 to 7.3

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

1) http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-resource-management/ (section
"Header Items")

2) http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-javascript-improvements/
(section "Ajax request attributes")

3) see IResource and AbstractResource

4) Correct! Althougth you don't need the override - it does nothing

I'd suggest you to migrate step by step - first to 1.5.16, then to 6.24 and
finally to 7.4.0.
And consult with the migration guides:
- https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Migration+to+Wicket+1.5
- https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Migration+to+Wicket+6.0
- https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Migration+to+Wicket+7.0

If you have more questions then please use separate mail threads for each
of them!