Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> on 2003/11/11 06:04:33 UTC

[digester] repost : patch for plugins

Hi,

I sent a patch to allow users of the plugins module to select the xml
attribute which specifies the plugin declaration or class.

This was sent 2003-11-03. Would someone please have a look and commit it
unless there are objections?

This patch *only* affects the plugins module. It's also the last patch I
have lined up for the plugins module.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=106784768220233&w=2

Thanks,

Simon

Re: [digester] repost : patch for plugins

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi simon

sorry it's been a while (i know i keeping saying this but hopefully
i've finally got my stuff sorted out. i've been transferring my email
to a new local IMAP server and upgrade some of my computers. there's
also been a lot of important ASF stuff going on recently.)

at first glance it seems fine but i'll have to wait till tomorrow to
find time to look at it properly.

- robert

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi simon

i've committed the patch. many thanks.

i've correct the brackets in a few cases where you've used

	}
	catch (WhatEverException wee) {

} catch (WhatEverException wee) {

i don't want to get religious but it's good to have a convention (it
really helps new developers). digester source keeps the catch brackets
and the else brackets on the same line.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 15 Nov 2003, at 03:01, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:44, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> i don't want to get religious but it's good to have a convention (it
>> really helps new developers). digester source keeps the catch brackets
>> and the else brackets on the same line.
>
> No problems. I wasn't aware that this *was* the convention.

no problem. we really should document this somewhere.

> You did remind me, though, that I promised early on that if Plugins was
> accepted as part of Digester that I would change all the proposed code
> to comply with Apache conventions.
>
> So here's a patch that does exactly that.

cool. committed.

> Changes are:
> *
> remove trailing underscores (which I use to distinguish member
> variables
> from locals/params. Where necessary, apply "this." to distinguish the
> two.
>
> *
> change catch clause brace indentation as described above
>
> *
> change method declaration parameter/throws indentation.
>
> *
> rename "initialise" to "initialize" (british->american spelling).

bit of a moot point whether this is an convention or not. i'm in favour
of leaving this up to the individual developer but i know some other
people feel feel differently.

> Oh and BTW, all indentation is done with spaces, not tabs. That is the
> convention, isn't it? (I hate tabs....)

we all hate tabs :)

- robert

Re: [digester] repost : patch for plugins

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:44, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> hi simon
>
> i've committed the patch. many thanks.
>
> i've correct the brackets in a few cases where you've used

> 	}
> 	catch (WhatEverException wee) {

> } catch (WhatEverException wee) {
>
> i don't want to get religious but it's good to have a convention (it
> really helps new developers). digester source keeps the catch brackets
> and the else brackets on the same line.

No problems. I wasn't aware that this *was* the convention.

You did remind me, though, that I promised early on that if Plugins was
accepted as part of Digester that I would change all the proposed code
to comply with Apache conventions.

So here's a patch that does exactly that.

Note that there are *no* functionality changes of any sort, and that the
files changed are *only* in the plugins package.

Changes are:
*
remove trailing underscores (which I use to distinguish member variables
from locals/params. Where necessary, apply "this." to distinguish the
two.

*
change catch clause brace indentation as described above

*
change method declaration parameter/throws indentation.

*
rename "initialise" to "initialize" (british->american spelling).

Oh and BTW, all indentation is done with spaces, not tabs. That is the
convention, isn't it? (I hate tabs....)

Regards,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi simon