Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Yongjun Zhang <yz...@cloudera.com> on 2015/03/13 22:49:28 UTC

about CHANGES.txt

Hi,

I found that changing CHANGES.txt when committing a jira is error prone
because of the different sections in the file, and sometimes we forget
about changing this file.

After all, git log would indicate the history of a branch. I wonder if we
could switch to a new method:

1. When committing, ensure the message include the type of the jira, "New
Feature", "Bug Fixes", "Improvement" etc.

2. No longer need to make changes to CHANGES.txt for each commit

3. Before releasing a branch, create the CHANGES.txt by using "git log"
command for the given branch..

Thanks.

--Yongjun

Re: about CHANGES.txt

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.
I think the general consensus is don’t include the changes.txt file in your commit. It won’t be correct for both branches if such a commit is destined for both. (No, the two branches aren’t the same.)

No, git log isn’t more accurate.  The problems are:

a) cherry picks
b) branch mergers
c) “whoops i missed something in that previous commit”
d) no identification of what type of commit it was without hooking into JIRA anyway.

This is why I prefer building the change log from JIRA.  We already build release notes from JIRA, BTW.  (Not that anyone appears to read them given the low quality of our notes…)  Anyway, here’s what I’ve been building/using as changes.txt and release notes:

https://github.com/aw-altiscale/hadoop-release-metadata

I try to update these every day. :)

Re: about CHANGES.txt

Posted by Yongjun Zhang <yz...@cloudera.com>.