Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Marcos Delgado <ju...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/17 21:09:30 UTC

Delete the mailing list general-es

Hello, I am in charge of the list and I want to remove it. 99% of
emails are spam. And I see no case to continue maintaining it.

Greetings.
J. Marcos Delgado A.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 21, 2020, 15:11 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Shutting down a list breaks a link between some (many?) users and the
> OpenOffice project.

Agree

If, instead, we switch the list -and other
> low-activity lists- to "members only" mode, the moderator will have just
> minimal activity and conversation can be started at any time (and of
> course new members can join by self-subscribing as usual).
>
> Note that I'm also writing this as moderator of a couple lists:

I agree with Andrea's point.
I moderate the virtualbox users community mailing list that Sun
Microsystems decided to discontinue at one pint in favor of web based
forums.

So we moved it to a mailman list hosted on sourceforge, and made it
subscribers-only.

It has been low-volume but very useful for user that for whatever reason
prefer a mailing list over web forums.

Just my $0.02
FC

Re: Delete the mailing list general-es

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 20/11/2020 Marcus wrote:
> the last mail seems to be from June 2020 [1]. Do you really think that
> deleting the mailing list is a disservice? ;-)
> For me it's obvious that there is no longer a purpose.
> [1]
> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general-es@openoffice.apache.org:2020-6

This is not a very important indicator: if you look at the Italian
mailing list, traffic is just occasional in certain periods, but new
releases are announced and when I needed a volunteer to help with
website translations for 4.1.8 I promptly found help there. So the list
is still useful while it may well happen that in a given month it
doesn't receive messages.

Shutting down a list breaks a link between some (many?) users and the
OpenOffice project. If, instead, we switch the list -and other
low-activity lists- to "members only" mode, the moderator will have just
minimal activity and conversation can be started at any time (and of
course new members can join by self-subscribing as usual).

Note that I'm also writing this as moderator of a couple lists: I would
definitely be for switching them to "members only" to limit the amount
of useless mails delivered to the moderator. The current model doesn't
improve communication at all over the "members only" model.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
> On 17/11/2020 Marcos Delgado wrote:
>> Hello, I am in charge of the list and I want to remove it. 99% of
>> emails are spam. And I see no case to continue maintaining it.
>
> Who are the other moderators of that list?
>
> Would you be fine with converting it to a "subscription required" list,
> i.e., any time a non-member posts to the list the message is rejected
> with a notice to the sender that she must subscribe to post?
>
> I'm asking since this approach reduces moderation activity to a minimum
> and it allows to keep the list alive even if traffic is occasional, so
> we wouldn't do any disservice to users. We might have other lists in the
> same situation.
>
> Note: I assume that "99% spam" means: out of all the e-mails that are
> delivered to moderators for approval, 99% is spam. If you mean that 99%
> of the e-mails that reach the list audience is spam, then it's a
> different issue.

the last mail seems to be from June 2020 [1]. Do you really think that
deleting the mailing list is a disservice? ;-)

For me it's obvious that there is no longer a purpose.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general-es@openoffice.apache.org:2020-6

Marcus

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 18.11.20 22:36, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 17/11/2020 Marcos Delgado wrote:
>> Hello, I am in charge of the list and I want to remove it. 99% of
>> emails are spam. And I see no case to continue maintaining it.
>
> Who are the other moderators of that list?
>
> Would you be fine with converting it to a "subscription required"
> list, i.e., any time a non-member posts to the list the message is
> rejected with a notice to the sender that she must subscribe to post?
>
> I'm asking since this approach reduces moderation activity to a
> minimum and it allows to keep the list alive even if traffic is
> occasional, so we wouldn't do any disservice to users. We might have
> other lists in the same situation.
>
> Note: I assume that "99% spam" means: out of all the e-mails that are
> delivered to moderators for approval, 99% is spam. If you mean that
> 99% of the e-mails that reach the list audience is spam, then it's a
> different issue.
Sounds like a good measure.  +1

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 3:04 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> Am 17.11.20 um 22:09 schrieb Marcos Delgado:
>> Hello, I am in charge of the list and I want to remove it. 99% of
>> emails are spam. And I see no case to continue maintaining it.
>
> +1 In this case I support the deletion.

+2

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.