Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net> on 2001/09/05 14:31:03 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.h

jim@apache.org writes:

> jim         01/09/04 11:15:16
>
>   Modified:    src      CHANGES PORTING
>                src/include ap_config.h http_main.h
>                src/lib/sdbm sdbm_lock.c
>                src/main http_core.c http_main.c
>                src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.h
>   Log:
>   Add the AcceptMutex runtime directive, which allows for the
>   accept mutexing method to be set at runtime (the suite of
>   methods is set at compile time still).

I don't like the feature of selecting a default mechanism if the
"AcceptMutex foo" directive is invalid.  I think the admin should get
the same feedback she'd get if she miscoded anything else.  I'm not
accustomed to Apache continuing to initialize if a directive is
miscoded.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.h

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> jim@apache.org writes:
>
> > jim         01/09/04 11:15:16
> >
> >   Modified:    src      CHANGES PORTING
> >                src/include ap_config.h http_main.h
> >                src/lib/sdbm sdbm_lock.c
> >                src/main http_core.c http_main.c
> >                src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.h
> >   Log:
> >   Add the AcceptMutex runtime directive, which allows for the
> >   accept mutexing method to be set at runtime (the suite of
> >   methods is set at compile time still).
>
> I don't like the feature of selecting a default mechanism if the
> "AcceptMutex foo" directive is invalid.  I think the admin should get
> the same feedback she'd get if she miscoded anything else.  I'm not
> accustomed to Apache continuing to initialize if a directive is
> miscoded.

Yea, I think I agree.  Think of the Siteminder on Solaris bugs we have in the bugs
database.  Netegrity tells their customers to use SYSVSEM. If they screw up the
AcceptMutex setting, they will not notice the config problem until their server falls
over. Not cool.

Bill