Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> on 2003/07/30 18:18:51 UTC

getArea() undefined

Hi

I just updated my local CVS workspace and it seems like someone changed
the PageEnvelope API

Line 550, column 0: The method getArea() is undefined for the type PageEnvelope
Line 573, column 0: The method getDocumentId() is undefined for the type PageEnvelope

What is the alternative?

Thanks

Michael

Developer community (Re: getArea() undefined)

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> In oder to grow the developer community I actually see just one way: We
> need to get Developers using Lenya for their own purpose.

That probably will only change significantly if it is easy to get started
with a working installation *and* if changes are made as transparently as
possible. While I have not replied to most conceptual mails (especially
those from Andreas Hartmann) I appreciate them because they help to
understand what is going on.

In other words: I think the Egg has to be bred before the Chicken can take
over.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 31/07/2003 11:08 Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> I will try to submit a proposal for the GetTogether at your place
>> within the next couple of days.
>>
>> Coming in peace (in case it will be accepted ;-)
>

> Much obliged and very much welcomed.

ok, I have submitted a proposal

  The GT might be a good time to get
> more Cocoonies interested in Lenya, by presenting something, or even
> participate with the Hackathon

I would very much like to participate within the hackathon. Would you be
interested also to have a Mini-Lenya-Hackathon within the more generic
Cocoon hackathon?

Thanks

Michael

  (did I spell that correct, Andrew? -

--
Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 31/07/2003 11:08 Michael Wechner wrote:

> I will try to submit a proposal for the GetTogether at your place within
> the next couple of days.
>
> Coming in peace (in case it will be accepted ;-)

Much obliged and very much welcomed. The GT might be a good time to get
more Cocoonies interested in Lenya, by presenting something, or even
participate with the Hackathon (did I spell that correct, Andrew? -
sorry, off-list joke)

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 31/07/2003 10:18 Michael Wechner wrote:

>> HTH, and with the best intentions.
>

> I hope so too :-)

You'd better, honestly. ;-)

Peace, mate.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 30/07/2003 23:50 Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> <snip see="http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/837"/>
>
>> In oder to grow the developer community I actually see just one way:
>> We need to get Developers using Lenya for their own purpose.
>>
>> Nicola and Stefano made some suggestions into this direction some time
>> ago re CVS and Wiki.
>>
>> Gianugo and Guido made some suggestions re WebDAV
>>
>> What about you?
>

> Ha. :-)
>
> That's not the way it works, I'm afraid: sitting around and hoping
> someone will come and Apachify your development community for you.

I know and it's not what I am expecting at all

> know I'm not making myself popular with my repeated bugging,

no, I don't mind when you're bugging. I rather appreciate it because it
helps us starting to act

  and I can
> even read that in your reply,

there is nothing to read in between my lines.

  but I basically don't care about that part
> of my public image, as long as you guys are learning along the way.
>
> Frankly, I fail to see why you are making your reply an ad hominem
> attack (sort-of),

this is no attack at all. I am just being curious what's your opinion re
CMS (I'm still curious, but no problem if you don't want to answer)

  where as my original remark was simply a neutral
> observation that you guys forget to mention private discussion results
> on the list.

that's why I agreed

> Constructively, I would suggest that you guys should start something
> similar to
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=staff+meeting&meta=group%3Dnetscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey

Thanks for the pointer

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30/07/2003 23:50 Michael Wechner wrote:

<snip see="http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/837"/>

> In oder to grow the developer community I actually see just one way: We
> need to get Developers using Lenya for their own purpose.
>
> Nicola and Stefano made some suggestions into this direction some time
> ago re CVS and Wiki.
>
> Gianugo and Guido made some suggestions re WebDAV
>
> What about you?

Ha. :-)

That's not the way it works, I'm afraid: sitting around and hoping
someone will come and Apachify your development community for you. I
know I'm not making myself popular with my repeated bugging, and I can
even read that in your reply, but I basically don't care about that part
of my public image, as long as you guys are learning along the way.

Frankly, I fail to see why you are making your reply an ad hominem
attack (sort-of), where as my original remark was simply a neutral

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 30/07/2003 21:27 Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote
>>
>>> Where?
>>

>> I guess it was private.
>>
>> But I think we should agree on something, because it concerns all
>> devs and else we will always
>> have the same problems.
>

> I was not suggesting the policy is flawed (policies are good), but the
> process to come to this policy. I'm subscribed to all three Lenya
> lists, and all I see for weeks is little discussion, and lots of
> commits. Policies should be discussed on the list. Design decisions
> too. Everything which comes out of nothing, is hard to deal with if
> your only interface with the Lenya project is the mailing list. So
> more of the development plans, designs and inherent discussions should
> be done on the list, and not in private or on some whitebaord.
> Otherwise, Lenya will never be able to grow a developer community.

I agree completely.

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 30/07/2003 18:39 Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's very annoying if the API is always being changed. I
>>> think the least one can do is:
>>>
>>> 1) Deprecate
>>

>> -1
>>
>> we discussed this,
>

> Where?

I guess it was private.

But I think we should agree on something, because it concerns all devs
and else we will always
have the same problems.

How do you handle API changes during the development of a release within
the Cocoon community?

It seems to me that many people are using Cocoon2.1 within  productive
environments which will certainly
lead to complaints when one is changing the API.

Thanks

Michael

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 30/07/2003 18:39 Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> I think it's very annoying if the API is always being changed. I think
>> the least one can do is:
>>
>> 1) Deprecate
>

> -1
>
> we discussed this,

Where?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Well, for instance the logicsheet is using it and I don't see a
>> reason why other components shouldn't use
>> it directly either! The world doesn't consist just out of XSP ...
>

> Generally, I think in XSPs (and in logicsheets) we should use the
> input module wherever it is possible. The less Java code we have in
> XSPs, the less problems occur when the Java API changes.

Well, that's what my statement says implicitely ;-) within XSPs I agree, but
there will be Java code which won't be generated from an XSP

Thanks

Michael

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> we discussed this, there are no deprecations of new code during a dev
>>> cycle
>>>
> sorry, didn't read far enough (Freud I guess ...)
>
> yes, makes sense, but still I think 2 would help a lot to change stuff
> accordingly and 3 would
> help to prevent the pattern: Some are changing, others are fixing ...

agreed.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> I think it's very annoying if the API is always being changed. I
>> think the least one can do is:
>>
>> 1) Deprecate
>

> -1

why so?

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> I think it's very annoying if the API is always being changed. I think
> the least one can do is:
>
> 1) Deprecate

-1

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I just updated my local CVS workspace and it seems like someone
>> changed the PageEnvelope API

>> Line 550, column 0: The method getArea() is undefined for the type
>> PageEnvelope
>> Line 573, column 0: The method getDocumentId() is undefined for the
>> type PageEnvelope
>>

> getDocument().getArea()
> getDocument().getId()

thanks

Re: getArea() undefined

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just updated my local CVS workspace and it seems like someone changed
> the PageEnvelope API

> Line 550, column 0: The method getArea() is undefined for the type
> PageEnvelope
> Line 573, column 0: The method getDocumentId() is undefined for the type
> PageEnvelope

getDocument().getArea()
getDocument().getId()

--