Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2007/01/17 23:42:50 UTC

Renaming tiles to X?(was Re: svn commit: r496145)

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 09:14 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> thorsten@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: thorsten
> > Date: Sun Jan 14 12:48:45 2007
> > New Revision: 496145

> > Log:
> > Allowing plugins to provide tiles.
>
> I'm assuming this is tiles in Dispatcher speak not tiles as in Apache
> Tiles. If this is so I think we ought to find a different name for it in
> Dispatcher, I can already "hear" the confused user questions as a result
> of a Google search.

Would be templates better?

They are "sub-structurer" to easier provide grouped contracts
(functionality) and hooks (design) on a plugin/project/theme base.

I will call it x till we find a better name for tiles.

<jx:import uri=cocoon://prepare.tiles.solrbar/>
would become
<jx:import uri=cocoon://prepare.x.solrbar/>

I further suggest to get them out of the html contract dir.

tree resources/themes/common/html/
resources/themes/common/html/
|-- solr-actionbar.ft
|-- solr-add.ft
|-- solr-search.ft
`-- solrbar.vt.xml

They do not belong in there. If you look in the core themes you can find
common-fo.vt.xml in the html dir of the common theme. This x does not
provide a group of html but fo contracts!

IMO they should be stored in resources/themes/common/x and stripped from
".vt" (does not makes sense anymore - vt stands for view tiles).

tree resources/themes/common/x
resources/themes/common/x
`-- solrbar.xml

wdyt?

Please we need some suggestions to replace x with better naming.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Renaming tiles to X?(was Re: svn commit: r496145)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 13:44 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Ross Gardler wrote:

> > > I'm assuming this is tiles in Dispatcher speak not tiles as in Apache
> > > Tiles. If this is so I think we ought to find a different name for it in
> > > Dispatcher, I can already "hear" the confused user questions as a result
> > > of a Google search.
> >
> > Would be templates better?
> >
> > They are "sub-structurer" to easier provide grouped contracts
> > (functionality) and hooks (design) on a plugin/project/theme base.
>
> "Templates" is an over-used term.
>
> Would the term "groups" be suitable.

I like it.

It describes best what it is.
A group of contracts and hooks.

Thanks David.

salu2

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > thorsten@apache.org wrote:
> > > Author: thorsten
> > > Date: Sun Jan 14 12:48:45 2007
> > > New Revision: 496145

> > > Log:
> > > Allowing plugins to provide tiles.
> >
> > I'm assuming this is tiles in Dispatcher speak not tiles as in Apache
> > Tiles. If this is so I think we ought to find a different name for it in
> > Dispatcher, I can already "hear" the confused user questions as a result
> > of a Google search.
>
> Would be templates better?
>
> They are "sub-structurer" to easier provide grouped contracts
> (functionality) and hooks (design) on a plugin/project/theme base.

"Templates" is an over-used term.

Would the term "groups" be suitable.

-David

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 07:01 +0100, C. Grobmeier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Please we need some suggestions to replace x with better naming.
>> How about "Tessera"?
>>
>> "A tessera (plural: tesserae, diminutive tessella) is an individual tile
>> in a mosaic, usually formed in the shape of a cube."
>> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessera
>>

> Yeah, very nice as well.

"Groups" is a little generic but easily understood.

"Tessera" is very accurate good, but at least not in my life, not a
common word, I'd have to look it up to know what it meant if the above
defn. wasn't provided for me.

Which you choose is entirely up to you. they both remove the confusion
that "tiles" would bring and that's my main concern.

Ross

Re: Renaming tiles to X?(was Re: svn commit: r496145)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 07:01 +0100, C. Grobmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Please we need some suggestions to replace x with better naming.
>
> How about "Tessera"?
>
> "A tessera (plural: tesserae, diminutive tessella) is an individual tile
> in a mosaic, usually formed in the shape of a cube."
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessera

Yeah, very nice as well.

Thanks Chris.

salu2

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 14:08 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:

I will rename tiles to panels within the next couple of days (hopefully
until next week) if nobody objects.

salu2
Open Source Java & XML                consulting, training and solutions

Re: Renaming tiles to X?(was Re: svn commit: r496145)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

I don't have anything better to suggest atm so +1 for Panels.

Gav...

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 23:42 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 09:14 +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> > thorsten@apache.org wrote:
> > > Author: thorsten
> > > Date: Sun Jan 14 12:48:45 2007
> > > New Revision: 496145

> > > Log:
> > > Allowing plugins to provide tiles.
> >
> > I'm assuming this is tiles in Dispatcher speak not tiles as in Apache
> > Tiles. If this is so I think we ought to find a different name for it in
> > Dispatcher, I can already "hear" the confused user questions as a result
> > of a Google search.
>
> Would be templates better?

No.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 12:45 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:
> On 1/17/07, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > I'm assuming this is tiles in Dispatcher speak not tiles as in Apache
> > > Tiles. If this is so I think we ought to find a different name for it in
> > > Dispatcher, I can already "hear" the confused user questions as a result
> > > of a Google search.
> >
> > Would be templates better?
> >
> > They are "sub-structurer" to easier provide grouped contracts
> > (functionality) and hooks (design) on a plugin/project/theme base.
> >
> > I will call it x till we find a better name for tiles.
> >
> > <jx:import uri=cocoon://prepare.tiles.solrbar/>
> > would become
> > <jx:import uri=cocoon://prepare.x.solrbar/>
> >
> > I further suggest to get them out of the html contract dir.
> >
> > tree resources/themes/common/html/
> > resources/themes/common/html/
> > |-- solr-actionbar.ft
> > |-- solr-add.ft
> > |-- solr-search.ft
> > `-- solrbar.vt.xml
> >
> > They do not belong in there. If you look in the core themes you can find
> > common-fo.vt.xml in the html dir of the common theme. This x does not
> > provide a group of html but fo contracts!
> >
> > IMO they should be stored in resources/themes/common/x and stripped from
> > ".vt" (does not makes sense anymore - vt stands for view tiles).
> >
> > tree resources/themes/common/x
> > resources/themes/common/x
> > `-- solrbar.xml
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> > Please we need some suggestions to replace x with better naming.
>
> I'll add "panel" for consideration.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Apanel
>
> I can't think of any conflicts with other popular technology right now
> other than awt.Panel.

Yeah, as well very nice.

Thanks

salu2