Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net> on 2005/12/27 01:47:16 UTC

EL and JSP 2.1

I'd like to get the ball rolling on a branch for JSP 2.1.  I also have a
new EL implementation that I would like to roll in as a replacement to
the Commons-EL implementation.  There's also the API modifications for
JSP and the EL-API.

Along the lines of project/folder naming and code placement-- are there
'rules' the group is expecting?  Also, would you like to keep the EL
separate and instead guide EL implementation into Commons-EL?

If anyone has any clarifications, questions, or recommendations, just
let me know--

--
Jacob Hookom  -  Minneapolis

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Ian Darwin <ia...@darwinsys.com>.
>>> - do we maintain servletapi for 6.0?
>>

>> No for the api stuff proper. We don't host it, can't change it and our
>> own implementation would be more trouble than it is worth.
>>
>> Maybe for the examples. It is useful to be able to fix problems with
>> them. The examples could always be merged in with the container module.
>

> I think we should have an implementation of the new API.

Does it need to be maintained as its own tree with its own JavaDoc? Or,
if it is "only" something to compile against, could we just extract it from
the compiled classes, using reflection?

Ian

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
>>The key questions are:
>> - does 6.0.x become the main development branch?
>
> Yes. We did this for 5.5.x and it worked.

Ok.

>> - do we merge jasper and container?
>
> No. Good to keep them independent.

Ok.

>> - do we merge build and container
>
> Maybe. If someone wants to take the time to do this and update the
> build scripts great. Personally, not an itch I feel the need to scratch.

The JSP implementation is independent, so there's no change here.

>> - do we maintain servletapi for 6.0?
>
> No for the api stuff proper. We don't host it, can't change it and our
> own implementation would be more trouble than it is worth.
>
> Maybe for the examples. It is useful to be able to fix problems with
> them. The examples could always be merged in with the container module.

I think we should have an implementation of the new API.

Rémy

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I'm actually +1 to more or less everything Costin said ;)
Yoav

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
My own views in line.

Mark

Re: EL and JSP 2.1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Jacob Hookom wrote:
> I'd like to get the ball rolling on a branch for JSP 2.1.  I also have a
> new EL implementation that I would like to roll in as a replacement to
> the Commons-EL implementation.  There's also the API modifications for
> JSP and the EL-API.
>
> Along the lines of project/folder naming and code placement-- are there
> 'rules' the group is expecting?  Also, would you like to keep the EL
> separate and instead guide EL implementation into Commons-EL?
>
> If anyone has any clarifications, questions, or recommendations, just
> let me know--

I can get the SVN stuff set up over the next few days. There has been
some debate about how we arrange things so we need to get agreement on
the way forward.

The key questions are:
 - does 6.0.x become the main development branch?
 - do we merge jasper and container?
 - do we merge build and container
 - do we maintain servletapi for 6.0?

I am assuming we use the latest connectors for all versions as currently.

Mark