Posted to commits@mina.apache.org by ap...@apache.org on 2009/05/05 10:28:27 UTC

svn commit: r771618 - /mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/

Author: apaliwal
Date: Tue May  5 08:28:26 2009
New Revision: 771618

Log:
To port Vysper to MINA 2.0
Submitted By: Ashish Paliwal (apaliwal.at.apache.org)

Added:
    mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/
      - copied from r771617, mina/sandbox/vysper/trunk/

Re: svn commit: r771618 - /mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:

>>> Feel free to create one. I am yet to start work on it.
>>> Tied with my work right now.
>>>

>> So, should I remove the branch and we'll create it again when somebody
>> is actually going to work on it, how does that sound? I see no point in
>> an aging branch nobody is committing to.
>>
> Having done such a move (for Directory, 1.1.7 -> 2.0.0), my experience
> is that it should be done in one shot, when you have time to do it. In
> my case, it took 2 months because I was quite busy and there were deadly
> bugs in MINA I had to fix. But as MINA has stabilized since then, my
> estimation of a move to MINA 2.0 is that it should take a couple of
> days, may be less if you know how MINA work. Probably less than a few
> hours too.
>
> So just do it in a branch *when* you are ready to do the migration (you
> = anyone feeling the mood and having the time to do the migration).

The MINA code in Vysper is only a small portion of the code.Doing this
as a side-project should not be as critical as refactoring over the
whole codebase. Steady re-integration of TRUNK into the branch should
help reducing pains, too.

> In the mean time, it's probably better to delete the branch. Dead wood
> is heavy to carry :)

+1. done.

 Bernd

Re: svn commit: r771618 - /mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

> Having done such a move (for Directory, 1.1.7 -> 2.0.0), my experience is
> that it should be done in one shot, when you have time to do it. In my case,
> it took 2 months because I was quite busy and there were deadly bugs in MINA
> I had to fix. But as MINA has stabilized since then, my estimation of a move
> to MINA 2.0 is that it should take a couple of days, may be less if you know
> how MINA work. Probably less than a few hours too.
>
> So just do it in a branch *when* you are ready to do the migration (you =
> anyone feeling the mood and having the time to do the migration).
>
> In the mean time, it's probably better to delete the branch. Dead wood is
> heavy to carry :)

Will keep this in mind :-)

Since I already did this activity once, so won't take long.
Still will fork out branch only when I am ready for it.

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: svn commit: r771618 - /mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> Ashish wrote:
>
>>> All or most files have been changed.
>>>
>>> I'd recommend to re-create the branch to reduce merge efforts later.
>>>
>> Feel free to create one. I am yet to start work on it.
>> Tied with my work right now.
>>

> So, should I remove the branch and we'll create it again when somebody
> is actually going to work on it, how does that sound? I see no point in
> an aging branch nobody is committing to.

Having done such a move (for Directory, 1.1.7 -> 2.0.0), my experience
is that it should be done in one shot, when you have time to do it. In
my case, it took 2 months because I was quite busy and there were deadly
bugs in MINA I had to fix. But as MINA has stabilized since then, my
estimation of a move to MINA 2.0 is that it should take a couple of
days, may be less if you know how MINA work. Probably less than a few
hours too.

So just do it in a branch *when* you are ready to do the migration (you
= anyone feeling the mood and having the time to do the migration).

In the mean time, it's probably better to delete the branch. Dead wood
is heavy to carry :)
>   Bernd

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: svn commit: r771618 - /mina/sandbox/vysper/branches/MINA2.0/

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.