Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joel Bjurström <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/09 08:50:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Ignore requests

I've been a victim for this annoying /sumthin-attack, I get quite a
few requests for that dir, that's very annoying, 'cause my (not very
silent) dot-matrix printer is printing my error_log ;)
So now i wonder if i can make apache simply ignore requests for
/sumthin, so it gives no http-header, nothing.
Now I'm using "Redirect gone /sumthin" in my .htaccess, so I don't get
any errors in error_log, but it would (IMO) be better to just drop the
request. Is that possible?
I run Apache2, so the exploit they're searching for doesn't work, but
I don't want to spend system resources for generating page contents to
this requests ;)

--
/maxxflow
maxxflow@gmail.com

http://maxxflow.com

Re: [users@httpd] Ignore requests

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 5/9/05, Joel Bjurström <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been a victim for this annoying /sumthin-attack, I get quite a
> few requests for that dir, that's very annoying, 'cause my (not very
> silent) dot-matrix printer is printing my error_log ;)
> So now i wonder if i can make apache simply ignore requests for
> /sumthin, so it gives no http-header, nothing.
> Now I'm using "Redirect gone /sumthin" in my .htaccess, so I don't get
> any errors in error_log, but it would (IMO) be better to just drop the
> request. Is that possible?

No.  Apache doesn't drop requests.

I think you are addressing the problem from the wrong angle.  Your
problem is a very bad log management system.  If you managed your logs
more efficiently, these requests wouldn't be a problem.

Joshua.