Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ramya Raghukumar <ra...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2009/03/09 21:40:05 UTC

Exception while configuring JDBC realm

I am trying to configure jdbc realm on Tomcat 6, by connecting to Oracle 11g that runs on Ubuntu.I tried doing it with <Realm> inside <Engine> but got the exception "Network adapter unable to establish connection".

However when I tried to connect to the database through a JNDI resource using <Resource> inside <Engine>, it worked fine. (I had
 removed the <Realm> element from <Engine> and had only <Resource>).

I continued getting the exception when I had both <Resource> and <Realm> inside <Engine>.

I also tried configuring JDBC realm at the context level but it thew the same exception.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Re: Exception while configuring JDBC realm

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@etf.bg.ac.rs>.
Ramya Raghukumar wrote:
> I am trying to configure jdbc realm on Tomcat 6, by connecting to Oracle 11g that runs on Ubuntu.I tried doing it with <Realm> inside <Engine> but got the exception "Network adapter unable to establish connection".
>
> However when I tried to connect to the database through a JNDI resource using <Resource> inside <Engine>, it worked fine. (I had
>  removed the <Realm> element from <Engine> and had only <Resource>).
>
> I continued getting the exception when I had both <Resource> and <Realm> inside <Engine>.
>
> I also tried configuring JDBC realm at the context level but it thew the same exception.
>
> What am I missing?

It smells like the network issue.

Did you test the access to the DB server with "telnet server.com 1521",
or something similar?

Regards,
Ognjen