Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kanwar Sangha <ka...@mavenir.com> on 2013/04/24 17:11:08 UTC

Networking

Hi - Is there a way we can separate the replication n/w and the interconnect n/w between the Cassandra nodes ? or does all data go over the same n/w interface ?

What about a geo-link ? Can that be separated out ?

Thanks,
Kanwar

RE: Networking

Posted by Kanwar Sangha <ka...@mavenir.com>.
I mean across 2 Data centres.

> What about a geo-link ? Can that be separated out ?

What does "geo-link" mean here? Cassandra only has two kinds of
communication - client<>servers and servers<>servers.

=Rob

Re: Networking

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

RE: Networking

Posted by Kanwar Sangha <ka...@mavenir.com>.
Thrift and intra can be different but what about Geo ?

As the listen address is used for intra-cluster communication, it must be changed to a routable address so the other nodes can reach it. For example, assuming you have an Ethernet interface with address 192.168.1.1, you would change the listen address like so:
listen_address: 192.168.1.1
The Thrift interface can be configured using either a specified address, like the listen address, or using the wildcard 0.0.0.0, which causes cassandra to listen for clients on all available interfaces. Update it as either:
rpc_address: 192.168.1.1
Or perhaps this machine has a second NIC with ip 10.140.179.1 and so you split the traffic for the intra-cluster network traffic from the thrift traffic for better performance:
rpc_address: 10.140.179.1