Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org> on 2016/08/30 16:50:08 UTC

Draft for Review - Apache Pirk September Podling Report

Hi Mentors,

Can you please review the following draft Pirk podling report for
September? I will post it on the incubator report wiki once everyone is
happy with it.

(This time, I will make sure not to touch anyone's sign off box on the wiki
:))

Thanks!

Ellison Anne

**********

Pirk

Pirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval (PIR).

Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for Pirk was
granted on 2016-07-11.

  1. Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for
dependable release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache
development process.

  2. Establish a process which allows different release cycles for the core
framework, extensions/adaptors, and additional algorithms.

  3. Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.

aware of?

None.

We have officially welcomed two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel
Marthi). The mailing list activity, pull requests, and page views to the
Apache Pirk website (via Google Analytics) have also greatly increased
since the last report.

The project completed it's first release, 0.1.0-incubating, since the last
report. Additionally, the project has ensured that all dependencies are
compliant with the Apache License version 2.0 and that all code and
documentation artifacts have the correct Apache licensing markings and
notice. The project has also undertaken a refactor of some of the initial
packages and provided initial streaming implementations.

Date of last release:

  August 29, 2016

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

Pirk elected two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel Marthi) on August
18, 2016.

Re: Draft for Review - Apache Pirk September Podling Report

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Worth considering adding in some numbers to back the comment about
mailing list/related growth.

Looks good though and would +1 as is.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.
Points well taken.

In terms of issues to address towards graduation, we can remove #2 and flip
#1 and #3. Do we have to have three? If so, any suggestions for an
appropriate third item?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi Mentors,
>
> Can you please review the following draft Pirk podling report for
> September? I will post it on the incubator report wiki once everyone is
> happy with it.
>
> (This time, I will make sure not to touch anyone's sign off box on the wiki
> :))
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ellison Anne
>
> **********
>
> Pirk
>
> Pirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval (PIR).
>
> Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for Pirk was
> granted on 2016-07-11.
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>
>   1. Establish a formal release process and schedule, allowing for
> dependable release cycles in a manner consistent with the Apache
> development process.
>
>   2. Establish a process which allows different release cycles for the core
> framework, extensions/adaptors, and additional algorithms.
>
>   3. Grow the community to establish diversity of background and expertise.

I think those issues are fair, but I wouldn't necessarily put them in that
order.

The project release process is evolving well, I don't see any major issues
there and it will get easier and better as more are done.  Having different
release cycles for different aspects of the project may well be desirable,
but I don't really see it as a graduation issue.

Growing the user and development community is definitely a key goal for
Pirk graduation.  Personally, I'd move that further up the list.  We can
discuss ideas for achieving that too.

> aware of?
>
> None.

> We have officially welcomed two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel
> Marthi).

I think it would be appropriate to mention in the report that Suneel and I
are mentors.  There is still an open opportunity to invite new developers
to be committers and broaden the community diversity.

> The mailing list activity, pull requests, and page views to the
> Apache Pirk website (via Google Analytics) have also greatly increased
> since the last report.

> The project completed it's first release, 0.1.0-incubating, since the last
> report. Additionally, the project has ensured that all dependencies are
> compliant with the Apache License version 2.0 and that all code and
> documentation artifacts have the correct Apache licensing markings and
> notice. The project has also undertaken a refactor of some of the initial
> packages and provided initial streaming implementations.
>
> Date of last release:
>
>   August 29, 2016
>
> When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
>
> Pirk elected two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel Marthi) on August
> 18, 2016.

Regards,
Tim