Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexandre Terrasson <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/01 08:23:46 UTC

Different behavior between Tomcat service installation & Tomcat console mode

Hi guys,
here my problem :

I have a web application that use a Jdbc driver/connection to connect to a
proprietary application.
I did my developments and tests on a Tomcat 6.0.32 with scripts startup
(startup.bat) and all works fine. But when I tried to test the web app on
the production server where a Tomcat 6.0.32 is installed as a service, it
don't work ....

I don't get a ClassNotFoundException, the class of the driver is well
configured, but I don't know, may be not really well loaded.

What intrigate me is why the two ways of using Tomcat has not the same
behavior ? And how to acquieve that the service mode having the same way of
working as the script ways (console mode) ?
I tend to say that could be a problem of classpath but don't really know ...

I'm working on Windows 7 x64 or Windows Server 2008 x64 with Apache Tomcat
x86 in Service mode or scripts mode (console mode). I have no "classpath"
environment variable, and use a Jdk 1.6.0_19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks :)

Alex.

Re: Different behavior between Tomcat service installation & Tomcat console mode

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/8/1 Alexandre Terrasson <al...@gmail.com>:
> Hi guys,
> here my problem :
>
> I have a web application that use a Jdbc driver/connection to connect to a
> proprietary application.
> I did my developments and tests on a Tomcat 6.0.32 with scripts startup
> (startup.bat) and all works fine. But when I tried to test the web app on
> the production server where a Tomcat 6.0.32 is installed as a service, it
> don't work ....
>
> I don't get a ClassNotFoundException, the class of the driver is well
> configured, but I don't know, may be not really well loaded.
>
> What intrigate me is why the two ways of using Tomcat has not the same
> behavior ? And how to acquieve that the service mode having the same way of
> working as the script ways (console mode) ?
> I tend to say that could be a problem of classpath but don't really know ...
>
> I'm working on Windows 7 x64 or Windows Server 2008 x64 with Apache Tomcat
> x86 in Service mode or scripts mode (console mode). I have no "classpath"
> environment variable, and use a Jdk 1.6.0_19.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. What exactly is in the logs?
2. Where is your driver JAR located?  Is is a thin driver (only a JAR)?
3. Note that the service is by default executed in a service account
with limited privileges. It is fine in most cases but sometimes you
may want to configure it to run as a specific user.
4. Firewalls.

5. You can use bat files from any zip distributive to start Tomcat in a console.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Different behavior between Tomcat service installation & Tomcat console mode

Posted by Alexandre Terrasson <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

thanks guys, I finally resolved the problem, thanks to Mladen Turk : I tried
to run the service with my local account (which is a admin account) instead
of the Local Service account and it works!!

Thansk guys for your help :)

Alex.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandre Terrasson <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thanks guys,

@Konstantin Kolinko :
1/ In the log, the error I get is a SQLException : Listener Error. I got
this only with service version of Tomcat, not with the console mode, that's
my problem ...
2/ The Jar of my driver is located in the Tomcat lib folders. The driver is
not only a jar, I had to installed it as an odbc source, with some dll and
some entries in windows registry.
3/ I'm admin on the machine where Tomcat is installed so I don't think is a
rights problem.
4/ Problem is still present while firewalls are off.
5/ Yes, but I would like to use Tomcat as a service, so I can configured it
to restart automatically at startup. Moreover, I don't know how to configure
logs file with the console mode of Tomcat ... but I'll go this way if I
don't find another solution.

@ld20349
Yes the two configuration are exactly the sames.

Alex.

Posted by 刘铎 <ld...@gmail.com>.