Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Jesse Wilson <je...@google.com> on 2009/10/08 21:14:30 UTC

MsgHelp changes

Mark and Tim,
Of the two giant patches I've submitted thus far
(archive<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6346>and
crypto <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6347>), you guys
omitted the MsgHelp changes. That's fine; those changes were
out-of-scope. But since I think the MsgHelp changes are a net win when used
by all modules, I'll prepare a new patch *just* for MsgHelp changes. It will
impact the Messages classes of several modules. Any objections before I
prepare a patch?

Thanks,
Jesse

Re: MsgHelp changes

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <a4...@mail.gmail.com>,
> Jesse Wilson writes:
>
> Mark and Tim,
> Of the two giant patches I've submitted thus far
> (archive<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6346>and
> crypto <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6347>), you guys
> omitted the MsgHelp changes. That's fine; those changes were
> out-of-scope. But since I think the MsgHelp changes are a net win when used
> by all modules, I'll prepare a new patch *just* for MsgHelp changes. It will
> impact the Messages classes of several modules. Any objections before I
> prepare a patch?

I like the fact that your change removes a dependency on
org.apache.harmony.kernel.VM (the only dependency for many modules so
this is a big win for modularity and reuse) but dislike that it adds
a dependency on a non-API class in luni - see my recent post about
modularity and reuse.  However, the nls message helper[0] would be an
ideal candidate for a new util/hyutil module.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] Or "helpers" if we decide to create an ExceptionManager as discussed
    earlier today.