Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by P T <ps...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/29 18:58:49 UTC

using a docBase outside $catalina.home ?

Hi all,

I've checked the archives and google, but come up dry on this. I know
that with 5.5 we're no longer supposed to put contexts for individual
applications in server.xml, but none of the 'proper' ways have worked.

I've got source for an application that we're working on in
c:\share\MyAppName, and the context in
{$Catalina.home}\conf\Catalina\localhost\MyAppName.xml

MyAppName.xml contains exactly:
<Context path="/MyAppName" docBase="c:\share\PMScheduler" debug="0"
reloadable="true"/>

I then start tomcat and access the /manager utility and it shows
/MyAppName in the Applications display and indicates 'false' under the
Running column. Attempting to start it produces "FAIL - Application at
context path /MyAppName could not be started" and no other info. The
/MyAppName folder exists but is empty.

I've also tried the method with context file in the docbase (
c:\share\PMScheduler\META-INF\context.xml ) and specifying it to the
/manager app as:
Context Path (optional): /MyAppName
XML Configuration file URL: file:C:/share/PMScheduler/META-INF/context.xml
WAR or Directory URL:  file:C:/share/PMScheduler

This produces the same result. (Although I note that even where it
says the context is optional, it still requires it... it's not the
issue at hand, but anyone else noticing that?)

I'm stumped -- I can't imagine that the only way to work with unWAR-ed
files is to put them inside tomcats directory structure. While we're
developing it seems silly to have to reWAR the whole thing every time
we make a change to the source. Tomcat 3.3 could handle this I know --
is this just functionality that was lost along the way?

Cheers,
Patrick Thomas

Re: using a docBase outside $catalina.home ?

Posted by Brad Baynes <bb...@gmail.com>.
I can't imagine that the only way to work with unWAR-ed
> > files is to put them inside tomcats directory structure.
> >
> > Patrick Thomas
>
> Patrick - make sure that the deployOnStartup attribute is not set to
> false in the server.xml. We are running apps outside the Tomcat folder
> structure with 5.5.7.

also do not specify the path on the context tag - it will be inferred
from the name of the xml file containing the context.

Re: using a docBase outside $catalina.home ?

Posted by Brad Baynes <bb...@gmail.com>.
> I then start tomcat and access the /manager utility and it shows
> /MyAppName in the Applications display and indicates 'false' under the
> Running column.
> I'm stumped -- I can't imagine that the only way to work with unWAR-ed
> files is to put them inside tomcats directory structure.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick Thomas

Patrick - make sure that the deployOnStartup attribute is not set to
false in the server.xml. We are running apps outside the Tomcat folder
structure with 5.5.7.

Brad