Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Skinner, Dallas M" <da...@eds.com> on 2001/05/02 16:48:24 UTC

Why Use apache

Excuse me if this question is obvious.  If Tomcat can be run in a standalone
mode, why should it be used in conjunction with apache?

Thanks

Dallas Skinner

Re: Why Use apache

Posted by Martin Mauri <mm...@profesi.com.ar>.
It depends on which are the other servers...I'd sugeest using Tomcat-Apache.

RE: Why Use apache

Posted by "David M. Rosner" <da...@recommend-it.com>.

Re: Why Use apache

Posted by Nick Christopher <nw...@visionics.com>.
Is there a way to append a URL to the FAQ to every mail to the list?

RE: Why Use apache

Posted by Doug Fields <df...@interpage.net>.
>tomcat isn't as good as apache at serving static html files and images.
>also, with apache up and running you can do other stuff like execute cgi
>scripts and so on.

That said, I use it as a standalone web and servlet server. The primary
drawback then becomes:

It does NOT keep logs like a "real" webserver. There is nothing to show
traffic or which is amenable to analysis.

So, for a small site which doesn't care about logs, it's great and a lot
easier to install, configure, and maintain than in combination with Apache.

Doug

Re: Why Use apache

Posted by Peter Davison <pd...@channelwave.com>.
In a word: "speed".

Tomcat is a java application, which runs in a JVM and because of this it runs
fairly slowly.
Apache is (AFAIK) written in C and runs native, and therefore is a lot
faster.

P.

Re: Why Use apache

Posted by Martin Mauri <mm...@profesi.com.ar>.
tomcat-apache-howto.html

RE: Why Use apache

Posted by Ronan Derby <ro...@puca.ie>.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Skinner, Dallas M wrote:

> Excuse me if this question is obvious.  If Tomcat can be run in a
> standalone mode, why should it be used in conjunction with apache?

Well, it's been asked many times, so you can check the archives for
answers.  But basically, Apache is more reliable, more robust, faster,
more flexible, more configurable, etc.  If you're only doing
JSP/servlet stuff, then maybe it would make sense to use Tomcat
standalone, but in general, I think it's much better to use it in
conjunction with Apache (or some web server).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

RE: Why Use apache

Posted by Mike Braden <mi...@nc.rr.com>.
This is a confusing part of Tomcat.

You definitely do not need Apache to use Tomcat.  It works
great by itself (and is easier to use that way).

You would add Apache into the mix for several reasons:

* You want to do something other than Java - Perl, PHP, etc.
* You are already running apache and you want to use Java
* Apache is faster at serving static content (tuned for performance)
  and your site has a heavy amount of traffic for static content
* You don't want to run Tomcat as root to be on port 80.  You
  are concerned about security
* You have a heavy load and want to have more than 1 Tomcat server
  i.e. load balancing multiple TC's behind Apache

Mike.
--
Mike Braden
mikeb@nc.rr.com