Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Normen <n....@alphasoft.biz> on 2014/05/16 13:17:24 UTC

Greek Characters in Postscript Output

Hello User Group,

we are currently in the process of porting our 0.20.5 FOP embed up to a more
actual version 1.0/1.1 and wanted to aim for Postscript Output (currently we
use the Java Renderer to print).

So before we used TrueTpe Fonts enabling us to use i.e. alpha and omega
characters in one standard font, i.e. Arial.

Now with postscript, as far as i understand it, we can only use single-byte
character encoded fonts, so we have a massively limited array of characters
in comparison to True Type fonts.

Do you have any solution to such a problem? We need to use Arial (could
substitute with Base-14 Helvetica) and Verdana (or a lookalike).

How would we achieve a font enabling these special characters?

Thank you a lot in advance for any clues ou could give me.

Best Regards

Normen

Re: Greek Characters in Postscript Output

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Did you get any error or warning message?

Regarding the config file:
both base and font-base value should start with "file:///"

> Hey Pascal and others,
>
> i have now uploaded the XML, XSL and the config file iam using (with several
> blocks commented out).
>
> I removed the mextric references in the config and deleted the metric xml
> files of the TTFs Arial and Verdana but without success, still.
>
> Hope someone can help me out, Thanks!!!!
>
> Normen
>
> kith_sample_1.xml
> <http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n40638/kith_sample_1.xml>
> kithFO.xsl <http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n40638/kithFO.xsl>
> FOPconfig.xml
> <http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n40638/FOPconfig.xml>

pascal

Re: Greek Characters in Postscript Output

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Don't bother supplying XSL/XML input files. Preprocess them into an XSL-FO
file and then send it (and test with it), otherwise the XSL/XML files are
just noise.

Also, make sure you are using Unicode code points for the greek characters,
e.g., &#x0370; through &#x03ff;. Also, don't bother with FOP 1.0, use FOP
1.1 or the current trunk builds.

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, fingers too big...

metric files are deprecated with recent FOP releases. You don't neet
them if you want to embed fonts, witch is the common way.
Note also that the config schema as widely changed since FOP 0.2.x;
there were many issues in the past when upgrading from 0.2.x.

you should also provide short XSL-FO that demonstrates the issue. You
will get quicker help from list.

--
pascal

Re: Greek Characters in Postscript Output

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Normen <n....@alphasoft.biz>.
Hi there,

iam testing with FOP 1.0 and tested with Arial and verdana True Type Fonts
and the POSTSCRIPT renderer; created Metrics for it and put it into the
configuration file like shown further down in this post, but the result is
non readable gibberish as shown in the image below.

(btw i have no problems with the PDF renderer...)

Any kind of hint/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n40635/TTF-Postscript.jpg>

<renderer mime="application/postscript">

	<fonts>

	</fonts>
</renderer>

Re: Greek Characters in Postscript Output

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.
You can use TrueType fonts with PostScript. Things changed a lot since
0.20.5....