Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/05/16 16:30:59 UTC

Re: ... & question about Stree usage - comment: deprecate

-1 for removing the stree package outright before the next Xalan shipped
build

Deprecation may have it's problems, but it's still the right step to do for
this release.  If we plan to remove it later and aren't currently relying
on it for the most common operations, then we should definitely deprecate
it before this public release.

One of my concerns about communities like this is that some long-term users
may not necessarily check in on the list all the time.  I'd like to make
sure that they get a public release 'A' with 'x' deprecated first, before
they get the next public release 'B' with 'x' simply gone.

Hmmm - didn't mean to sound that conservative!

- Shane

(P.S. other bits of release plan look good if agressive)

---- you Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote ----
> First, a question.  How many people are directly accessing the Stree
APIs?

Posted by James Melton <ja...@cylogix.com>.
I wrote:

> -1 on deletion. Please deprecate before deleting.

Hmmm, sorry I didn't understand the details better. This is not a public
interface?

Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

> Well, as someone else said, the stree isn't really supposed to be a public
> API.  They wouldn't get the stree API's unless they flipped some special
> switch.

I think we should ALWAYS deprecate public interfaces (i.e. intended for
public use) before deletion, but never feel compelled to do so for
internal interfaces.

Or in more "poetic" terms:
<bad_developer uses="undocumented internal interface">smite with the
hand of sudden deletion</bad_developer>

Jim.

James Melton                 CyLogix
609.750.5190                 609.750.5100
james.melton@cylogix.com     www.cylogix.com

Re: ... & question about Stree usage - comment: deprecate

Posted by James Melton <ja...@cylogix.com>.