Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Barnabas Yohannes <yo...@hotmail.com> on 2001/08/16 21:38:21 UTC

Version

Folks,
How do I know what version of tomcat I have on my apache server?  This dude
who installed tomcat for us, I think, he installed only the beta release of
tomcat.  Now, he is asking $10,000 to fix it.  "Oh holly cow!" was my bosses
reaction.:)

I used the command:

openssl version -a

But it only gave me the ssl version.

Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Version

Posted by Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>.
$10K?  Geez, I'm in the wrong business...

Someone may have a better way to check the Tomcat version, but for my
version at least (3.2.1) the quickest way seems to be to look in the
docs/readme file under the Tomcat home directory.  Right at the top it
says the version.

None of the startup messages in the logfiles seem to indicate the
version.  That might be a Nice To Have.

Also, because of the way the distributions are packaged, all of our
Tomcat installations include the version in the path, e.g.:
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/...

dwh

Re: Version

Posted by Bo Xu <bo...@cybershop.ca>.
Barnabas Yohannes wrote:

> Folks,
> How do I know what version of tomcat I have on my apache server?  This dude
> who installed tomcat for us, I think, he installed only the beta release of
> tomcat.  Now, he is asking $10,000 to fix it.  "Oh holly cow!" was my bosses
> reaction.:)
>
> I used the command:
>
> openssl version -a
>
> But it only gave me the ssl version.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!

good email for you :-)

javax.servlet.ServletContext:

  getMajorVersion(), getMinorVersion()
  (returns the version of the JSDK it implements)

  getServerInfo()
  (returns a text description of the Tomcat version)

                                        -- Bill K.

Is there any way to get tomcat to return the version/milestone/build date?

Bo
Aug.16, 2001

Re: Version

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 01:05 PM 8/16/2001, you wrote:
>At 12:38 PM 8/16/2001, you wrote:
>>Folks,
>>How do I know what version of tomcat I have on my apache server?  This dude
>>who installed tomcat for us, I think, he installed only the beta release of
>>tomcat.  Now, he is asking $10,000 to fix it.  "Oh holly cow!" was my bosses
>>reaction.:)
>>
>>I used the command:
>>
>>openssl version -a
>>
>>But it only gave me the ssl version.
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated!
>
>./httpd -version

Damn, screwed up again. Tomcat... I meant... "I dunno..."

Re: Version

Posted by Barnabas Yohannes <yo...@hotmail.com>.
Folks,
Thank you all for your helps.  Specially Craig McClanahan is tha man!  The
problem we are having is that this page, which is located at tomcat server,:

http://schedule.wellbridge.com/boss/main.xml?producer=main&type=fitness&club
=arena

after working for about 10 hours, it crushes.  Now, we have to restart
tomcat in order to start it.  Did I say tomcat?  Oops, I was wrong.  We have
to restart first tomcat then the apache server.  I found from
.../docs/readme file that we have TOMCAT Version 3.2.  But, I found out that
there are many more versions that has been released after version 3.2.  We
think that if we upgrade our tomcat server, xml page will not crush.

Your comments?

RE: Version

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
> p.s. Probably it's written somewhere on the lists' homepage, but I'm to
> tired to check it now. What's the allowed ratio in kbytes for bitching and
> complaining to answered questions?

Personally, it's more interesting than the standard, "tell me that answer to
a question that's already answered in the README or in the archives" but I'm
guessing some others might not appreciate it so much ;)

That's sad to hear man...  Programmers are a dime a dozen, but good ones
aren't.

- r

RE: Version

Posted by Deacon Marcus <de...@wwtech.pl>.
Hi,

It's not such a funny thing for someone trying to live here :/ someone lend
me money for one-way ticket to anywhere-else, please :~( It's probably the
only place where you can't pay your bills leading a team of programmers
specializing in cutting-edge technologies with average IQ above 160 and
being one of a few providers in one's country who give .jsp 1.2 as part of
standard package. In case anyone wants to set up a .jsp website in Poland,
contact me - I'm the cheapest ;/

> - r

Greetings, deacon Marcus

RE: Version

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
+1 on that..

Mvgr,
Martin

RE: Version

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.

RE: Version

Posted by Deacon Marcus <de...@wwtech.pl>.
Hi,

Re: Version

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.

Re: Version

Posted by Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>.
Marc Saegesser wrote:

>You can always use telnet to open up a
>connection to the server and do a GET / command.  The HTTP response will
>contain the Tomcat version number.
>
>[...]
>Feel free to send me $10,000 anytime you like.

I agree.  I think Marc gets the $10K.  :-) Telnetting in is the most
reliable method...

(Actually, I think $10K was for upgrading it to a more current Tomcat...)

RE: Version

Posted by Marc Saegesser <ma...@apropos.com>.
There is a servlet called SnoopServlet that ships with Tomcat.  Try
http://localhost:8080/servlet/SnoopServlet and check the version number it
reports.  If the sample webapps that come with Tomcat have been removed
(which they might have been for a commercial installation) then SnoopServlet
may not be there any more.  You can always use telnet to open up a
connection to the server and do a GET / command.  The HTTP response will
contain the Tomcat version number.

The doc/readme and webapps/ROOT/index.html files will contain the version
number, but it is possible that the Tomcat JAR files were updated without
updating the documentation.  For example, you can update from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3
by simply copying the new JAR files into tomcat/lib.  In this case the
version numbers in the documentation (included the index.html in
webapps/ROOT) won't match what you're really running.

SnoopServlet or the response headers are guaranteed to return the actual
version number.

Feel free to send me $10,000 anytime you like.

Marc Saegesser