Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Mohammad arshad <mo...@huawei.com> on 2016/08/16 08:29:38 UTC

ZOOKEEPER pre-commit fails if patch contains binary file

Hello everyone

In ZooKeeper pre-commit patch apply has failed for the patch ZOOKEEPER-1260-01.patch. This patch applies on trunk locally
ZOOKEEPER-1260-01.patch contains a binary file. This patch is generated with "git diff --no-prefix --binary HEAD > ZOOKEEPER-1260-01.patch" command
I think the binary file, in the patch, is the reason for failure in CI.
any idea on how to give patch in zookeeper which has binary file?

Thanks
-Arshad

Re: ZOOKEEPER pre-commit fails if patch contains binary file

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
The last time we discussed this, consensus in the community was that our most effective roadmap for build toolchain improvements would be:

1) Migrate to Maven.  This is tracked in ZOOKEEPER-1078, and I know you’re interested in pushing that one ahead too.
2) Migrate to Yetus after the switch to Maven.

I don’t believe there is anything we are waiting on from the Yetus project in terms of features or stability.  It’s already used successfully in Hadoop and other projects.  Yetus can work with an Ant build, but our integration with Yetus would look different for an Ant build vs. a Maven build.  If Maven migration is inevitable, then I’d rather not spend effort on the Ant build integration only to throw it away later.

--Chris Nauroth

On 8/16/16, 11:29 AM, "Arshad Mohammad" <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Thanks Chris, for clarification and suggestion. I will submit the patch
    without binary file.

    Seems Yetus is very important and necessary for ZooKeeper and I have heard
    many times in community discussion that a particular problem can be solved
    with Yetus
    Is there any plan for migration like in 3.5.3 or in other release? is there
    anything we are waiting for, like more stable Yetus release etc.

    -Arshad

Posted by Arshad Mohammad <ar...@gmail.com>.