Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Chuck Esterbrook <ec...@mindspring.com> on 2001/05/13 00:01:35 UTC

FreeMarker?

Does anyone have any opinions on how Velocity and FreeMarker compare?
   http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/

-Chuck

Re: FreeMarker?

Posted by Fedor Karpelevitch <fe...@home.com>.
On Saturday 12 May 2001 18:47, you wrote:
> At 06:46 PM 5/12/2001 -0700, Fedor Karpelevitch wrote:
> >This is obviously up to you.
>
> Uh oh. Here comes a "big license thread".  :-)
>
> Um, OK. For me, more freedom is better and less freedom is worse. Freedom
> includes the ability to commercialize (although in this particular case I
> have no interest in doing so) and does NOT include the ability for the
> authors to "take it back".
>
> Also, shorter licenses are better than longer ones.
>
> Also, simpler, easier-to-understand licenses are better than ones require a
> legal mind for comprehension.

You views on licensing are very interesting.
But talking to yourself is no good.

Fedor.

Re: FreeMarker?

Posted by David Kinnvall <da...@alertir.com>.
I hope someone yells when this thread should be taken
elsewhere (private mail or different forum.) A few small
questions of mine inline below, though.

Posted by Chuck Esterbrook <ec...@mindspring.com>.

Re: FreeMarker?

Posted by Fedor Karpelevitch <fe...@home.com>.
> >It is under a different license... (LGPL)
>
> Is that better or worse?

This is obviously up to you.

Fedor

Re: FreeMarker?

Posted by Chuck Esterbrook <ec...@mindspring.com>.
At 06:37 PM 5/12/2001 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 5/12/01 3:01 PM, "Chuck Esterbrook" <ec...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any opinions on how Velocity and FreeMarker compare?
> >  http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > -Chuck
>
>Freemarker uses a different syntax.

Yeah after glancing a little more I noticed the syntax diff. I don't like
FreeMarker's use of <> because then you can't see the instructions when you
preview in a browser.

RE: FreeMarker? - I used it

Posted by Chuck Esterbrook <ec...@mindspring.com>.
At 06:20 PM 5/14/2001 +0200, Paulo Gaspar wrote:
>I could go into further detail, but I live that to you - both products
>have easy to follow and quite complete documentation.
>

>Have fun,
>Paulo Gaspar

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that introspection is the way to go. It's
quite convenient and productive.

-Chuck

Re: FreeMarker?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/12/01 3:01 PM, "Chuck Esterbrook" <ec...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any opinions on how Velocity and FreeMarker compare?
>  http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/
>
> -Chuck

Freemarker uses a different syntax.

It is under a different license... (LGPL)

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

RE: FreeMarker? - I used it

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
I used both.

To make it short:
- FreeMarker philosophy is quite different from Velocity's;
- In general, you can do more with less code in Velocity.

Notice that in Freemarker you have to build data structures for the data
you want to expose using a limited set of classes or custom build
classes that respect a limited set of Interfaces. This often means that
you have to move data (or references to data) from some data structure
into a specific Freemarker one.

In Velocity you are less limited, since it accepts standard java beans,
arrays, Collections...

One could point that Freemarker has better control of what data gets
exposed, but you can easily achieve that same level of control with
Velocity when convenient, just by using specific wrapping beans - and
you only have the trouble when you need it.

I don't know about performance. But whatever is the difference, the
difference in time per page will probably be a small fraction of the
time of producing its data. So, IMO the ease of use is the most
important factor.

And, from my experience, Velocity is by far the easier to use.