Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net> on 2012/04/14 02:24:34 UTC

Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the CouchDB summit in Boston this
week! In case you didn't know, the (25 pages!) of meeting minutes are
available for review at http://s.apache.org/ndI .

Here's where we need YOUR HELP. During the summit, the participants
identified 38 key features we think are important for CouchDB's future.
Please help us RANK these ideas by visiting our All Our Ideas page:

   http://www.allourideas.org/couchdb2012/

All Our Ideas is a free/open source solution for voting based on
pairwise comparison - think Kittenwar - and is super easy to use.

Please complete as many comparisons as you can; we'd like all the
feedback we can get. We'd be thrilled if each of you did at least 100
comparisons.

Thanks again for your help in determining the future of Apache CouchDB!

--
Joan Touzet | joant@atypical.net | wohali everywhere else

Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 14, 2012, Joan Touzet wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who participated in the CouchDB summit in Boston this
>> week! In case you didn't know, the (25 pages!) of meeting minutes are
>> available for review at http://s.apache.org/ndI .
>>
>> Here's where we need YOUR HELP. During the summit, the participants
>> identified 38 key features we think are important for CouchDB's future.
>> Please help us RANK these ideas by visiting our All Our Ideas page:
>>
>>   http://www.allourideas.org/couchdb2012/
>>
>> All Our Ideas is a free/open source solution for voting based on
>> pairwise comparison - think Kittenwar - and is super easy to use.
>>
>> Please complete as many comparisons as you can; we'd like all the
>> feedback we can get. We'd be thrilled if each of you did at least 100
>> comparisons.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help in determining the future of Apache CouchDB!
>>
>> --
>> Joan Touzet | joant@atypical.net | wohali everywhere else
>

> also not saying that thie kind of ranking proposed by this service is odd to
> sy the less,
>
> benoît

To be more constructive, we should rather first put all the lines that
were on the dashboard, describe them and sort them by their
dependancies (some line depends on another). I can start doing that on
the wiki, but I need an access I guess.

Then eventually ask for votes, those i don't see how votes are relaled
to developer interest.  Never forget that at the end we are an
opensource project depending on the developer will. Interest from
other is still interesting but  we should distinct backend needed
changes from end user features.

- benoît

Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
For the record, the vast majority of my responses were "I don't know A
or B or Both".  I think that's expected, since there are a number of
internal refactoring items, and end users won't typically have an
opinion.

Eli

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
On Apr 19, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Bob Dionne wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Damien presented the UnQL stuff to us, some time ago before he left the CouchDB project, and I thought then it was overly ambitious.
>>
>> I agree that SQL is awesome and hard to get away from after thinking in terms of relations for years. I'd love to see an alternative to SQL that was a better fit for document stores, that takes into account that document are sorts of like objects with attributes. There was considerable work done in this area years ago by folks working in  functional dbs.
>>
> Umm.... CQL (Contextual Query Language, formerly known as Common Query Language).  Developed by the library community for querying metadata.
>
> SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL) embeds CQL in a RESTful API.  Sort of OpenSearch on steroids.  Some mature implementations floating around.
>
> Working example of a search string:
> http://alcme.oclc.org/srw/search/SiteSearchDocumentation?query=dc.title= pears&version=1.1&maximumRecords=10 <http://alcme.oclc.org/srw/search/SiteSearchDocumentation?query=dc.title=%20pears&version=1.1&maximumRecords=10>
>
> Now an SRU interface to CouchDB would be interesting.
>
> (Amazing how people always want to re-invent things rather than do a little research.)

It is amazing, there's also the original UnQL by Peter Buneman and his students at Penn (Hasan Ait-KAci, et. al.), FQL, etc.. What I was referring to in wondering about alternatives was a revisiting of the foundations, research in the capital R sense, rather than just googling about for artifacts, though clearly literature surveys are also important.

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Mike,

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Damien presented the UnQL stuff to us, some time ago before he left the CouchDB project, and I thought then it was overly ambitious.

I agree that SQL is awesome and hard to get away from after thinking in terms of relations for years. I'd love to see an alternative to SQL that was a better fit for document stores, that takes into account that document are sorts of like objects with attributes. There was considerable work done in this area years ago by folks working in  functional dbs.

Let us know what you think after you've played around with MR.

Bob

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
I can speak only for myself but I've been SQL syntax free for years. I
even got my sense of smell back.

B.

Posted by Mike Kimber <mk...@kana.com>.
Robert,

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kimber <mk...@kana.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
This is great, a little more descriptive putting them into two categories. I'm not sure why we'd exclude the programmer items from the voting

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:02, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> He's what I have so far: https://gist.github.com/2387973

Looks nice. I think it might make sense to fold WebSockets and
EventSource into a single item, i.e. AFAICT the main point is to allow
non-polling forms of consuming _changes from
JavaScript-in-the-browser.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
That's great! Even just a short sentence makes it way easier to get an
idea about the particular feature.

> I think it's pretty close. Only the User-Facing section should be in
> the next vote.

For some features it might me not so clear if they really belong to the
"Developer Facing Features" section. If unsure, I'd make sure to include
a feature in the vote, while ensuring to provide an explanation that the
average CouchDB user can understand.

For example, the points five ("Move attachments out of database files")
and six ("Plugin/addon/module interface") both have definitively a high
priority for me as CouchDB user, as I'd really like to see a larger
ecosystem of third-party extensions/plugins/addons/modules/tools (yay!).

One concrete scenario for instance:

As soon as attachments don't have to be written to the database file
anymore and there's something like an attachment writer plugin module
interface, it'll be a no-brainer to use a cloud storage provider for
attachments. As a result, for me as a CouchDB user, chances will be high
that somebody has already written an accordant plugin when I have that
particular use case (like e.g. putting attachments on Amazon S3).

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
Consider _mvcc as a suggestion to help educate. Other proposals are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Bob Dionne
<di...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> Thanks for mentioning the "links" item, that should definitely be in the list. I'd be curious to know what kind if usage the Basho folks have seen with that one.
>
> I think it's a good feature but I also think it kind of runs against the grain architecturally in couchdb. Documents now are completely independent of one another which is simple. This forces use cases that need "links" to do so in the application layer. There are many reasons I think of that folks would want this, building trees, graphs, SQL-like queries, navigation, etc. so I think it's a nice feature to add, *but* I would do so in a way that doesn't change the independence of documents, .ie. make it orthogonal, a plugin to core.
>
> Bob

Agree.  As an implementation detail I wish we could follow a
specification to do that. Maybe HAL fits our needs instead HTTP Link
headers:

- http://stateless.co/hal_specification.html
- http://blog.stateless.co/post/13296666138/json-linking-with-hal

- benoît

Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Benoit,

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> The feedback on the mailing lists, IRC and twitter has been very
> helpful, thanks everyone for the responses!
>
> I'm going to take this feedback and provide a condensed list of
> features. I will write up each item on our wiki, then we'll reset the
> poll so that more folks can vote knowledgeably on the features. I
> suspect it'll be a couple of hours, so I'll post here when it's up.
>
> Thanks!
> B.

Sound good. Thanks for that!

- benoît

RE: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Yes, perhaps the next move is a wiki page for these items
(deduplicated and with better names and descriptions).

B.

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.
On 04/15/2012 02:51 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Tim McNamara
> <pa...@timmcnamara.co.nz>  wrote:
>> One of the good reasons for this format (although I have no idea if it
>> is why it's why it was chosen) is that there are some good statistics
>> behind pairwise comparison.
>
> The main problem with that format is comparing apples with oranges.
> features should be compared at the same level of usage and eventually
> complexity not just because B come after A or a random has been
> applied.
>
> - benoît
I agree with Benoit here. Most of these comparisons had me scratching my
head. These are largely not even apple/orange comparison, more like
apple/rock comparisons. They have nothing whatsoever to do with each
other. Also, lumping new feature X in with items that are really just
broken and need fixed (re-factored) isn't really useful. All of the
re-factoring needs done, and likely some of the new features. Many of
the new features are likely trigger some of the other work identified
anyhow. -1 on this as a useful voting format.

Wendall

Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim McNamara <pa...@timmcnamara.co.nz>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
<DISCLAIMER>

Posted by CGS <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joan,

Very interesting voting system, but there are few questions I would like to
address:
1. The vote is about comparing the priorities/importance which means (from
what I noticed the one time comparison is a randomly chosen cell in the
38x38 matrix less the main diagonal) 1406 answers. Even at half (say,
taking the upper part of the matrix) it means 703 answers. Isn't it a bit
too much? Wouldn't it be simpler to cast a mark for each key feature?
2. Let's say one wants to exhaust all the possibilities (that would be
really something!!!). No one can stay to answer 703 slides in one session
(that's for sure). But here comes another inconvenient I consider: your
votes are vanishing (reduced to 0) after a period of inactivity. Am I wrong
or one needs to cast her/his votes in one session (as many as she/he can)
and after that to stop?

Wouldn't it be easier a system soccer betting system: 1x2 (where "x" means
"I can't decide")? E.g., a form with tabulated data like this (with
pagination, of course):

1. "Partial updates of documents" vs. "Hide the _users database behind an
API"  <input type="radio" name="c1" value="1" /> <input type="radio"
name="c1" value="x" /> <input type="radio" name="c1" value="2" />

Just a 2c opinion.

CGS

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
did we talk about ranking rhem? What about the developer interest too? Also
it may be interresting to order them by the technical needs to develop them
(ie. A depends on B).

benoît

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.