Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2016/02/04 08:28:46 UTC

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling API 2.10.0 ... Path util classes

-1 for the API bundle (unless this is by intention:)

why have we in the new API bundle two different packages with path-related utility classes?

org.apache.sling.api.resource.util (SLING-5220, comparing paths)
  Path
  PathSet

org.apache.sling.resource.path (SLING-5455, bulding paths)
  PathBuilder

the latter is even missing the "api" part in the package name - is this by intention?
perhaps Path and PathBuilder could even be combined in one single class.

stefan

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Robert Munteanu wrote

> Agreed, I will move the classes to a new package.
>
> Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5486 and will commit
> the changes tomorrow.

Thanks Robert,

I will also rename one class in the API then, I misspelled
ResolveContext as ResolverContext.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling API 2.10.0 ... Path util classes

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2016-02-04 at 16:40 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Stefan Seifert wrote
> >
> > > The PathBuilder is aimed to be more lightweight than a Path when
> > > just
> > > need to craft a String path to pass to the ResourceResolver or a
> > > similar API.
> > >
> > > It's outside the api.resource.util package since it's a
> > > standalone
> > > utility that might move outside the API bundle in the future, if
> > > we get
> > > more path-related utilities in.
> > >
> > > That being said, I see three options:
> > >
> > > 1. Go ahead with the release, given the above arguments
> > > 2. Move Path and PathSet to the resource.path package, for
> > > consistency
> > > 3. Move pack PathBuilder to the resourceresolver package as an
> > > internal
> > > class
> >
> > thanks for the explanation - so this was by intention.
> >
> > i withdraw my -1 vote on this vote.
> >
> > i personally would like 2., but with "api" in the package name. we
> > already have some utility classes in the API, why not some more
> > handling paths. esp. i would like to put all path-related classes
> > in the same package to make it easier to find them.
> >
> > but if no one else has a problem with the current package layout
> > i'm fine with it as well
>
> TBH I didn't catch that one :(, I would prefer #2 as well
>
> I guess the best would be to redo the release and fix the api
> package.
> Once we have it out, we have to support it "forever"

Agreed, I will move the classes to a new package.

Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-5486 and will commit
the changes tomorrow.

Robert

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling API 2.10.0 ... Path util classes

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stefan Seifert wrote

>> The PathBuilder is aimed to be more lightweight than a Path when just
>> need to craft a String path to pass to the ResourceResolver or a
>> similar API.
>>
>> It's outside the api.resource.util package since it's a standalone
>> utility that might move outside the API bundle in the future, if we get
>> more path-related utilities in.
>>
>> That being said, I see three options:
>>
>> 1. Go ahead with the release, given the above arguments
>> 2. Move Path and PathSet to the resource.path package, for consistency
>> 3. Move pack PathBuilder to the resourceresolver package as an internal
>> class
>
> thanks for the explanation - so this was by intention.
>
> i withdraw my -1 vote on this vote.
>
> i personally would like 2., but with "api" in the package name. we already have some utility classes in the API, why not some more handling paths. esp. i would like to put all path-related classes in the same package to make it easier to find them.
>
> but if no one else has a problem with the current package layout i'm fine with it as well

TBH I didn't catch that one :(, I would prefer #2 as well

I guess the best would be to redo the release and fix the api package.
Once we have it out, we have to support it "forever"

WDYT?

Regards
Carsten

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Thursday 04 February 2016 11:59:58 Stefan Seifert wrote:
> >The PathBuilder is aimed to be more lightweight than a Path when just
> >need to craft a String path to pass to the ResourceResolver or a
> >similar API.
> >
> >It's outside the api.resource.util package since it's a standalone
> >utility that might move outside the API bundle in the future, if we get
> >more path-related utilities in.
> >
> >That being said, I see three options:
> >
> >1. Go ahead with the release, given the above arguments
> >2. Move Path and PathSet to the resource.path package, for consistency
> >3. Move pack PathBuilder to the resourceresolver package as an internal
> >class
>

> thanks for the explanation - so this was by intention.
>
> i withdraw my -1 vote on this vote.
>
> i personally would like 2., but with "api" in the package name. we already
> have some utility classes in the API, why not some more handling paths.
> esp. i would like to put all path-related classes in the same package to
> make it easier to find them.

+1

O.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2016-02-04 at 07:28 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> -1 for the API bundle (unless this is by intention:)
>
> why have we in the new API bundle two different packages with path-
> related utility classes?
>
> org.apache.sling.api.resource.util (SLING-5220, comparing paths)
>   Path
>   PathSet
>
> org.apache.sling.resource.path (SLING-5455, bulding paths)
>   PathBuilder
>
> the latter is even missing the "api" part in the package name - is
> this by intention?
> perhaps Path and PathBuilder could even be combined in one single
> class.

That's a good point. I initially added the PathBuilder after I got
tired of too many String-based operations ( which are easy to get wrong
when working with paths ).

The PathBuilder is aimed to be more lightweight than a Path when just
need to craft a String path to pass to the ResourceResolver or a
similar API.

It's outside the api.resource.util package since it's a standalone
utility that might move outside the API bundle in the future, if we get
more path-related utilities in.

That being said, I see three options:

1. Go ahead with the release, given the above arguments
2. Move Path and PathSet to the resource.path package, for consistency
3. Move pack PathBuilder to the resourceresolver package as an internal
class

Thoughts?

Robert