Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Green <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2000/11/19 19:50:10 UTC

Re: Netscape and document cache

Here are the C1 caching plans, folks. (This thread previously only existed
on cocoon-users, but I thought it was time to get moving and implement it.)

BTW, I just remembered. I was wrong before - caching well-designed XSP pages
isn't always pointless. If an XSP page gets data from a database using GET
request parameters (not POST) the query string is included in the URL used
to index the cache (at least, in C1 it is), so each different combination of
query strings is stored separately in the cache. If some requests are made
very often this could be useful.

So there's definitely a need for a cacheable setting in XSP pages. I'm going
to introduce this as a new tag - <xsp:cacheable/> which must appear, if at
all, under <xsp:structure>. For now it will just be a presence/absence
thing. This will not necessarily be forward-compatible with C2.

Also I'm introducing a new interface org.apache.cocoon.framework.Cacheable.
I've implemented this interface in the classes that need it
(ProducerFromFile, XSPProcessor, XSLTProcessor, XIncludeProcessor,
AbstractFormatter) and left the other components as they are. If any
component in the pipeline either doesn't implement Cacheable or returns
false on a call to isCacheable(), that request will not be cached. This
should be a minimal impact approach - as previously stated - no existing
code will throw an exception or stop working properly, the worst that can
happen is loss of caching.

XSPPage now always implements Cacheable (I've made sure older repository
files will be compatible), but returns false by default. So all the
<xsp:cacheable/> tag will do for now, is override it to return true.

http://profiles.msn.com.

Re: Netscape and document cache

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Robin Green wrote:

> Here are the C1 caching plans, folks. (This thread previously only existed
> on cocoon-users, but I thought it was time to get moving and implement it.)
>
> BTW, I just remembered. I was wrong before - caching well-designed XSP pages
> isn't always pointless. If an XSP page gets data from a database using GET
> request parameters (not POST) the query string is included in the URL used
> to index the cache (at least, in C1 it is), so each different combination of
> query strings is stored separately in the cache. If some requests are made
> very often this could be useful.
>
> So there's definitely a need for a cacheable setting in XSP pages. I'm going
> to introduce this as a new tag - <xsp:cacheable/> which must appear, if at
> all, under <xsp:structure>. For now it will just be a presence/absence
> thing. This will not necessarily be forward-compatible with C2.

I'm sorry, but I must very strongly disagree with this. Cocoon's caching
semantics are different to AxKit's, and we also wanted to enable XSP to
work outside of a web environment. Put cacheable in a logicsheeet. Please.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **