Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu> on 2005/05/15 07:29:39 UTC

Bombarded by German political spam

Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.

anybody else seeing this?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Did this suddendly stop today for anyone else and now your just dealing
> with the NDR's?

Actually it suddenly *started* for me today.  Before that only one stupid
zombie somplace thought I was in Germany.  Now they all seem to.

And the faked sender names all start with the letter "J".

        Loren

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Tim B <mo...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Maurice Lucas <ms...@taos-it.nl>.
Hello,

I didn't read this discussion but did found a link on the clamav mailinglist
which I want to share before reading 300 emails ;)

http://weir.dattitu.de/archives/9-Filtering-Sober-P.html

Met vriendelijke groet,

Maurice Lucas
TAOS-IT

Posted by Eddy Beliveau <ed...@hec.ca>.
Many thanks for this rule (99_sober.cf)

It rocks   :-)

Thanks again
Eddy

Posted by Christian Recktenwald <sp...@citecs.de>.
On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:05:09PM -0400, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> Thanks, just put it in!
>
> > http://www.citecs.de/99_sober.cf
>
> > - the often seen "Lese selbst" is scored 4
>
> Just curious, what's that mean to the spammers? google translates it
> as "vintage"

It means "read by yourself".

Posted by Elizabeth Schwartz <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, just put it in!

Posted by Christian Recktenwald <sp...@citecs.de>.

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>> http://mailscanner.prolocation.net/german.cf

> You've got a bit of duplication in there (rules 02 and 22 are the
> same, as are 04 and 26).

I'll clean them, thanks! v0.2 there in a few :)

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Do i copy and paste the contents of german.cf into my local.cf or just
> download the german.cf into /etc/mail/spamassassin ?

Either one.  SA will load all files ending in *.cf in alphabetical order by
file name.
Simplest to just drop the new file into the directory.

Remember to restart spamd, if using.

        Loren

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Vinayak Royadu <vi...@deeproot.co.in>.
On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 14:09, List wrote:
> [...]
You can do either of them (then restart spamd) though I prefer keeping
german.cf as  seperate file.

With regards,
Vinayak

Posted by List <li...@nchost.net>.

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Sunday 15 May 2005 12:44), Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >> Anyone has a full list of subjects yet, time to do some SA magic... ;)
>
> > I have quite a few, here is the subjects list:
> >
> > Subject: 4,8 Mill. Osteuropaeer durch Fischer-Volmer Erlass
> > Subject: Auf Streife durch den Berliner Wedding
> > Subject: Auslaender bevorzugt
> > Subject: Auslaenderpolitik
> > Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA
> > Subject: Deutsche werden kuenftig beim Arzt abgezockt
> > Subject: Du wirst zum Sklaven gemacht!!!
> > Subject: Graeberschaendung auf bundesdeutsche Anordnung
> > Subject: Hier sind wir Lehrer die einzigen Auslaender
> > Subject: Paranoider Deutschenmoerder kommt in Psychiatrie
> > Subject: Tuerkei in die EU
> > Subject: Verbrechen der deutschen Frau
>
> Two more:
>
> Subject: Vorbildliche Aktion
> Subject: 60 Jahre Befreiung: Wer feiert mit?
>
> anyone care to make a small ruleset to score them up?

someone posted one at
http://www.file-upload.net/15.05.05/5_x4st.cf

it uses a score of 8 and /i - anyway, it might save you some effort ;)

cheers,

wolfgang

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Patrick von der Hagen <pa...@wudika.de>.
Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
[...]

 >> This is the complete list so far:

[...]
Subject: Multi-Kulturell = Multi-Kriminell
--
CU,
    Patrick.

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Anton Krall wrote:
> Any SA rules out there that can catch the german spam mails?

I am only needing to filter on the subjects I quoted because Mailman
has no other option and the mailing list is not using spamassassin.
Simply filtering on the subject is not a great method.  But since I am
stuck with Mailman (I don't control the site or the mailing list) then
that is the best I can do.

I am not having any trouble with spamassassin and these messages
because the bayes engine has trained up on these messages and all of
them are getting tagged with BAYES_99 now.  So SA is keeping them
tagged and out of my main mailbox without any trouble.  It's working
great.

Bob

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Monday 16 May 2005 16:53), Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> Does anyone have any good generic german spam filter rulesets?
> We have
> some legitimate German users, so I don't want to start blacklisting,
> and I worry that filtering one specific header at a time is a lost
> cause...

one subject based ruleset was posted here:
In an older episode (Sunday 15 May 2005 15:31), Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
<snip>
> I put my one online also:
>
> http://mailscanner.prolocation.net/german.cf
<snip>

there is one online that is based on the typical message-ids used by that
current virus based spam wave and on a few additonal indicators from those
mails. i find it a bit risky - anyway, here is the URL:

http://weir.dattitu.de/archives/9-Filtering-Sober-P.html

regards,

wolfgang

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by sargon <sa...@lordsargon.com>.
On Monday, 16-May-2005 09:53, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
> Does anyone have any good generic german spam filter rulesets? We
> have some legitimate German users, so I don't want to start
> blacklisting, and I worry that filtering one specific header at a
> time is a lost cause...

This link showed up at the Internet Storm Center earlier today. It is
aimed specifically at the German political spam.

YMMV....

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Nick Leverton <nj...@leverton.org>.
On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:59:40PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> The list I have collected is slightly different than yours.

 ....snips....
> Subject: Ihre Anfrage an Amazon.de

"Your question to amazon.de" - are you sure that's a spam subject ?

Nick

RE: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Anton Krall <ak...@intruder.com.mx>.
Any SA rules out there that can catch the german spam mails?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> This is the complete list so far:

I am helping to manage a mailing list with mailman and the interface
there is pretty restrictive and there is no spam filtering such as SA
under it so no SURBL either.  Slightly off topic for the SA list.  But
I found in the interface [subscription rules], [spam filters], [spam
filter rule], then paste these into the spam filter rule with a
discard action.

The list I have collected is slightly different than yours.

Subject: 4,8 Mill. Osteuropaeer durch Fischer-Volmer Erlass
Subject: 60 Jahre Befreiung: Wer feiert mit?
Subject: Armenian Genocide Plagues Ankara 90 Years On
Subject: Auf Streife durch den Berliner Wedding
Subject: Augen auf
Subject: Auslaender bevorzugt
Subject: Auslaenderpolitik
Subject: Blutige Selbstjustiz
Subject: Deutsche Buerger trauen sich nicht ...
Subject: Deutsche werden kuenftig beim Arzt abgezockt
Subject: Dresden 1945
Subject: Dresden Bombing Is To Be Regretted Enormously
Subject: Du wirst ausspioniert ....!
Subject: Du wirst zum Sklaven gemacht!!!
Subject: Gegen das Vergessen
Subject: Graeberschaendung auf bundesdeutsche Anordnung
Subject: Hier sind wir Lehrer die einzigen Auslaender
Subject: Ihre Anfrage an Amazon.de
Subject: Massenhafter Steuerbetrug durch auslaendische Arbeitnehmer
Subject: Paranoider Deutschenmoerder kommt in Psychiatrie
Subject: S.O.S. Kiez! Polizei schlaegt Alarm
Subject: Schily ueber Deutschland
Subject: The Whore Lived Like a German
Subject: Transparenz ist das Mindeste
Subject: Trotz Stellenabbau
Subject: Tuerkei in die EU
Subject: Turkish Tabloid Enrages Germany with Nazi Comparisons
Subject: Verbrechen der deutschen Frau
Subject: Volk wird nur zum zahlen gebraucht!
Subject: Vorbildliche Aktion

Bob

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>>> I have quite a few, here is the subjects list:
>>>
>>> Subject: 4,8 Mill. Osteuropaeer durch Fischer-Volmer Erlass
>>> Subject: Auf Streife durch den Berliner Wedding
>>> Subject: Auslaender bevorzugt
>>> Subject: Auslaenderpolitik

<cut>

Posted by Alex Broens <sa...@alexb.ch>.
wolfgang wrote:
> In an older episode (Sunday 15 May 2005 12:44), Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
>
>>Hi!

>>>I have quite a few, here is the subjects list:
>>>
>>>Subject: 4,8 Mill. Osteuropaeer durch Fischer-Volmer Erlass
>>>Subject: Auf Streife durch den Berliner Wedding
>>>Subject: Auslaender bevorzugt
>>>Subject: Auslaenderpolitik
>>>Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA
>>>Subject: Deutsche werden kuenftig beim Arzt abgezockt
>>>Subject: Du wirst zum Sklaven gemacht!!!
>>>Subject: Graeberschaendung auf bundesdeutsche Anordnung
>>>Subject: Hier sind wir Lehrer die einzigen Auslaender
>>>Subject: Paranoider Deutschenmoerder kommt in Psychiatrie
>>>Subject: Tuerkei in die EU
>>>Subject: Verbrechen der deutschen Frau
>>
>>Two more:
>>
>>Subject: Vorbildliche Aktion
>>Subject: 60 Jahre Befreiung: Wer feiert mit?
>

> one more:
> Subject: Augen auf
>
> I noticed that the WS URIBL does by now recognize various of the URIs in those
> mails, and a rule like
> # whois.rfc-ignorant.org URIBL http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/
> urirhssub URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS      whois.rfc-ignorant.org.     A   5
> body URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS           eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS')
> describe URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS       URL listed at rfc-ignorant.org (whois)
> tflags URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS         net
> also works well here:
>
>  1.0 URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS       URL listed at rfc-ignorant.org (whois)
>                             [URIs: pro-koeln-online.de jungefreiheit.de]
>                             [g-d-f.de bewaeltigen.de kopfmord.de]
>                             [buergerbewegungen.de wk-institut.de]
>                             [das-gibts-doch-nicht.de un-nachrichten.de]
>                             [rocknord.de]

And may cause LOTS of false positives as well

Sun 2005-05-15 13:42:18: *  1.0 URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS URL listed at
rfc-ignorant.org (whois)
Sun 2005-05-15 13:42:18: *      [URIs: spiegel.de npd.de taz.de]

FP: spiegel.de & taz.de

Sun 2005-05-15 13:42:44: *  1.0 URIBL_RFCI_WHOIS URL listed at
rfc-ignorant.org (whois)
Sun 2005-05-15 13:42:44: *      [URIs: libasoli.de zdf.de]

FP: zdf.de

h2h

Alex

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Sunday 15 May 2005 11:55), wolfgang wrote:

oops, this one:

> Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA

is not part of them ;)

regards,

wolfgang

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Sunday 15 May 2005 10:47), Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

> Anyone has a full list of subjects yet, time to do some SA magic... ;)

I have quite a few, here is the subjects list:

Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA

regards,

wolfgang

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 5/15/2005 10:47 AM +0200, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> Actually it was to be expected. Remember the same german political spams
> one year ago? The european voting is comming up so i guess they do it
> again now. Brrrr....

Unlike some other countries in the EU, Germany doesn't have a referendum
on the European constitution.

Niek

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I only have one, and you might be better off looking for the urls than the
> subject:

Ok, now I have two.  Both from the same machine as it happens, although this
time it claims it is an AOL mail server.  Last time it was somethiing else.
Yea, right.

Lese selbst:
http://brandenburg.rz.fhtw-berlin.de/poetschke.html

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Anyone has a full list of subjects yet, time to do some SA magic... ;)

I only have one, and you might be better off looking for the urls than the
subject:

Lese selbst:
http://www.npd.de/npd_info/deutschland/2005/d0405-13.html

Neue Dokumente:
http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/nachrichten/politik/deutschland/87647

Botschafter in Kiew beschwerte sich noch 2004:
http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/nachrichten/politik/deutschland/85735

Traumziel Deutschland:
http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitung/archiv/.bin/dump.fcgi/2004/1221/politik/0009/index.html

Kanzler erleichtert Visaverfahren für Golfstaaten:
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/vorab/0,1518,349262,00.html

Ohne Deutsch nach Deutschland:
http://www.aufenthaltstitel.de/zuwg/0618.html

Vorbildliche Aktion:
http://www.npd.de/npd_info/deutschland/2004/d1204-24.html

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> anybody else seeing this?

I got one of them, and fortunately only one.  Bayes did a good job of
catching it.

        Loren

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Roman Serbski <me...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/05, David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>
> anybody else seeing this?

Yes, we have already received six messages.

Subjects:

Gegen das Vergessen
Graeberschaendung auf bundesdeutsche Anordnung
Multi-Kulturell = Multi-Kriminell
The Whore Lived Like a German
Verbrechen der deutschen Frau
Volk wird nur zum zahlen gebraucht!

URLs inside:

http://www.die-kommenden.net/dk/zeitgeschichte/graeberschaendung.htm
http://www.npd.de/npd_info/meldungen/2005/m0105-19.html
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,344374,00.html
http://www.jn-bw.de/texte/zeitgeschichte/verbrechen_der_frau.htm
http://www.my-rocknord.de/viewtopic.php?t=1018&sid=3ce6385b1dee88cb02447f566a2da68d

Regards,
Roman

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by JamesDR <ro...@bellsouth.net>.
Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:19:39 +0200 Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
>

>>On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:59:12AM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>>
>>>I received about 500 on the webmaster account.
>>>
>>>Now we know what "sober" was all about.
>>
>>I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!
>

> [SNIP...]
>

>>No attachments seem to be sent and our Mail-filter would
>>have 'eaten' anyway all the current Sober-Viruses/Variants.
>>(I'm pretty sure about that, I'm its admin)
>

> He didn't mean the messages CONTAIN a virus/trojan.
>
> Over the last 2 weeks a new "sober" worm variant was released and infected
> tens of thousands of clueless Windows user machines.
>
> The current wave of political spam is being sent out through those infected
> machines.
>
> <DREAMING>
> It would be really nice if all the ISPs of the world would get together and
> create a comprehensive database of all residential IP address pools
> maintained in dnsbl fashion. Something the owner of an IP block could add to
> or remove from (with encrypted pass protection) *easily* when IP's are
> reassigned. Blocking direct, unauthenticated, SMTP transactions from
> addresses on that list would stop 90% of virus transmission and a large chunk
> of spam as well.
> </DREAMING>
>
> Gerald

Many already do... I know mine does, along with the local cable co. (I'm
on dsl)

JamesDR

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by "Gerald V. Livingston II" <ge...@sysmatrix.net>.

Posted by Tim B <mo...@optonline.net>.
Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:59:12AM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
>
>>I received about 500 on the webmaster account.
>>
>>Now we know what "sober" was all about.
>

> I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!
>
> I got about 200 of them into a few accounts and
> seemingly I'm receiving more every few minutes.
>
> BUT I do *not* think it is more than 'Propaganda'!
> It mostly is just one URL of a genuine Article
> of a german Newspaper (only the 'collection' of
> Articles and tendency of subject making it 'political').
>
> No attachments seem to be sent and our Mail-filter would
> have 'eaten' anyway all the current Sober-Viruses/Variants.
> (I'm pretty sure about that, I'm its admin)
>
> Stucki (postmaster at math/inf/mi.fu-berlin.de)

Look at your AV logs of those sending sober.p and look at the
connections sending the german political spam.  you will start to see a
connection.  In fact I'm going through my logs right now finding the
hosts which sent sober.p and starting to block those because they so far
seem to be the main ones sending the political spam

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 5/15/2005 6:19 PM +0200, Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
>>Now we know what "sober" was all about.
>

> I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!

Oh, there is a connection. Just like last years sober.g and a German
extermist spamrun.

This spamrun was caused by sober.q which was downloaded by sober.p

Niek

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Niek <ni...@asbak.coding-slaves.com>.
On 5/15/2005 6:19 PM +0200, Chr. von Stuckrad wrote:
>>Now we know what "sober" was all about.
>

> I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!

Also see:
http://isc.sans.org/
http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog

Niek

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by "Chr. von Stuckrad" <st...@mi.fu-berlin.de>.
On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 10:59:12AM -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> I received about 500 on the webmaster account.
>
> Now we know what "sober" was all about.

I see *no* connection to any Virus or Trojan!

I got about 200 of them into a few accounts and
seemingly I'm receiving more every few minutes.

BUT I do *not* think it is more than 'Propaganda'!
It mostly is just one URL of a genuine Article
of a german Newspaper (only the 'collection' of
Articles and tendency of subject making it 'political').

No attachments seem to be sent and our Mail-filter would
have 'eaten' anyway all the current Sober-Viruses/Variants.
(I'm pretty sure about that, I'm its admin)

Stucki (postmaster at math/inf/mi.fu-berlin.de)

--
Christoph von Stuckrad      * * |nickname |<st...@mi.fu-berlin.de>  \
Freie Universitaet Berlin   |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(days):+49 30 838-75 459|

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
David B Funk wrote:
> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>
> anybody else seeing this?

Lots and lots.  Around 10AM CDT, it seems that the various RBL and URI
rules are starting to kick in, but some is still leaking through as with
   low scores.

Posted by Alan Premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.
Matias Lopez Bergero wrote:
> David B Funk wrote:
>
>> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
>> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
>> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
>> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>>
>> anybody else seeing this?
>

> I'm being bombarded to!
>

> Matías.

I'm mostly just getting the bogus MAILER-DAEMON bounces from being
joe-jobbed.

I've litterally had 100's of these compared to the 2 or 3 actual spams.
(usually 50+ at a time)

alan

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Matias Lopez Bergero <ml...@udesa.edu.ar>.
David B Funk wrote:
> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>
> anybody else seeing this?

I'm being bombarded to!

Matías.

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by Jon Trulson <jo...@radscan.com>.
On Sun, 15 May 2005, David B Funk wrote:

> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>
> anybody else seeing this?

 	Absolutely :)  Several hundred so far.  I wonder whether it is
worth the effort to write rules for these types of things?  After feeding
50 or so to Bayes, they are all getting a bayes_99 now (I setup the
bayes_99 score to 5.4 when I upgraded to 3.x).

 	So far they are being trapped...

--
Jon Trulson    mailto:jon@radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962

Re: Bombarded by German political spam

Posted by James R <ja...@trusswood.dyndns.org>.
David B Funk wrote:
> Tonight our site is being bombarded by German political spam or
> Joe-jobbed bounce fall-out. So far it appears to all be coming
> from trojaned PCs. Other than the specific URLs in the messages
> havn't found any easily identified parts to create rules for.
>
> anybody else seeing this?

Slightly OT, but related none-the-less:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/16/sober_spews_spam/

James