Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Oliver <ol...@sourceonenet.com> on 2005/05/20 17:22:39 UTC

Best Practice for providing Web Services for existing classes

Let's say I have an existing web application, and it has a number of
behaviors that I want to expose via web services.  These behaviors are
implemented in classes that are designed to handle web events like post
and get.

If these classes have a method I want to expose such as the following:

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,

                              ActionForm form,

                              HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response) throws Exception

(yes some would recognize this is a Struts action class and its default
execute method)

The question is....

1.    Is it better/easier to take the guts of this class and copy it to
a class without the request and response and mapping which normally have
nothing to do with the processing of the form?

2.    Is it better/easier to just do a Java2WSDL from this class?

3.    Or. refactor the meat of this class into a separate class and call
this new refactored class from from it and then run Java2WSDL from the
new refactored class?

Michael Oliver

CTO

Alarius Systems LLC

6800 E. Lake Mead Blvd, #1096

Las Vegas, NV 89156

Phone:(702)643-7425

Fax:(702)974-0341

*Note new email changed from oliverm@matrix-media.com

Re: Best Practice for providing Web Services for existing classes

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
3 -- refactor it.