Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/02 07:27:07 UTC

Website outdated

Hi BookKeepers,

I'm new to BookKeeper these days, and notice that a part of our website
(doc) are outdated.

Said we have such a code example on the site:

Enumerator<LedgerEntry> entries =
  handle.readEntries(0, handle.getLastAddConfirmed());

while (entries.hasNextElement()) {
    LedgerEntry entry = entries.nextElement();
    System.out.println("Successfully read entry " + entry.getId());
}

However, Enumerator is neither a class defined in the project nor bundled
with jdk dist.

Also, I notice that we have a `site2` folder which may be back to two years
ago effort without
new progress.

I'm learning BookKeeper project by reading its doc and code now, but it
seems that outdated
doc hurts and I'm looking for anything I can help along with my learning
journey.

Best,
tison.

Re: Website outdated

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Tison,

Il giorno mer 2 mar 2022 alle ore 08:27 tison <wa...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi BookKeepers,
>
> I'm new to BookKeeper these days, and notice that a part of our website
> (doc) are outdated.

You are totally right !
thanks for bringing this up to the attention of the community

We are missing people who work on the website.
There was an effort to build a new website but the people who started
to work on it stopped

> Said we have such a code example on the site:
>
> Enumerator<LedgerEntry> entries =
>   handle.readEntries(0, handle.getLastAddConfirmed());
>
> while (entries.hasNextElement()) {
>     LedgerEntry entry = entries.nextElement();
>     System.out.println("Successfully read entry " + entry.getId());
> }

We should update the examples to the ReadHandle and WriteHandle API,
the LedgerHandle API is very old and it is deprecated.

You should use org.apache.bookkeeper.client.api package and ReadHandle
and WriteHandle

You contributed to HerdDB in the past, you can check out that code to
see how to use the new API
or you can check the tests in BookKeeper tests suite

I am very sorry about this

Enrico