Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2005/05/20 04:42:31 UTC

[doc] update to "ViewSVN" link in commons website

Hi,

Currently the commons site navbar (and all component navbars) have a
"View SVN" entry with links to proper and sandbox via viewcvs:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/

I would like to enhance this a little. Here's a new version of the site
containing an updated "View Source Code Repository" navbar entry:
  http://people.apache.org/~skitching/commons/site/

I would appreciate people's feedback on this.

Please note:
 * this is still referred to by "&viewmenu;" so all components would
   get updated to this new section when they publish new sites.
 * the "general information" is an absolute URL so it works from
   child components. Obviously, however, it doesn't work now as the
   new page hasn't been put on the real site. Here's the link you
   need to use for the moment:
     http://people.apache.org/~skitching/commons/site/svninfo.html

Regards,

Simon

Re: [doc] update to "ViewSVN" link in commons website

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi Dion,

There's nothing to stop individual components from omitting the
"generic" &viewmenu; menu and adding their own one that links
specifically to the svn locations for that component. In fact, that
would be a nice idea.

However most don't bother. And at the moment, I think the commons-level
default &viewmenu; that most component pages do include doesn't give
enough info; just two links to viewcvs. So users then go up to the
jakarta-level version control info, at which point the info is *very*
generic (including info about CVS that is irrelevant to commons).

I can't see anything that can be done at the commons-build level to
provide components with better version control access info than the
patch I'm proposing.

Regards,

Simon

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:46 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>>2) Related (to the user picking the first URL), I suggest that the URL
>>should be of the full form for a project (named foo) right down to
>>trunk. Again, this will help people who just pickup the link and don't
>>read the text. Then, the rest of the page can explain other URLs, and
>>their purposes.
>
> How can this be done? The page here is just a static page within
> commons-build...

You misunderstand ;-) I mean, to use the name foo on the static page, as
an example.

That way, they have to change the URL to make it work (substitute lang
for foo etc.). That might make them more likely to read the text.

Also, there is less chance of them checking out the branches and tags.

Stephen

Re: [doc] update to "ViewSVN" link in commons website

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:46 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I have a couple of issues:
>
> 1) I don't think we should reference https here at all. Committers
> should know what they are doing. (The danger is that a user picks the
> first URL on the page without reading the text)\

I'm fine with putting the http: url first.

I'd prefer to see the https: info still there; I think you're assuming a
bit too much about committer knowledge of subversion. But I'll see what
the consensus is...

> 2) Related (to the user picking the first URL), I suggest that the URL
> should be of the full form for a project (named foo) right down to
> trunk. Again, this will help people who just pickup the link and don't
> read the text. Then, the rest of the page can explain other URLs, and
> their purposes.

How can this be done? The page here is just a static page within
commons-build...

Note that components are welcome to omit the &viewmenu; entry from their
navigation.xml and instead insert specific information about their
particular project. But right now most just inherit the static info
defined in commons-build/menus/view.ent, and I'd like that default to be
better than the current...

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Simon