Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by jeremy montgomery <al...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/25 15:53:11 UTC

Modifying a Stack with an Extension

So the following has to do with adding the HBase Thrift and Rest Server to
Ambari.  Personally, I like using extensions because its isolates the
functions from the upgrade process.  However, it doesn't look like an
extension can extend either a stack or a common-service.

Stacks => HDP 2.6, BigInsights 4.2.5

Goals:
Be able to add Thrift/Rest with configs
Add appropriate alerts
Recompile app.js to have them appear in the summary panel

QUESTION 1 => is it possible to extend this with an extension?  Like Extend
HDP 2.3 instead of common-services?

QUESTION 2 => Is it possible to trigger a recompile of app.js with a flag?

<<<<<<<<<<<background>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First Try
Extension Pack
<metainfo>
  <schemaVersion>2.0</schemaVersion>
  <services>
    <service>
      <name>HBASE</name>
      <extends>common-services/HBASE/0.96.0.2.0</extends>
#######thrift and rest components
    </service>
  </services>
</metainfo>

Result
Not able to add Thrift/Rest Server

Second Try:
Modifying HDP 2.3 Stack HBase metainfo.xml to add them:

Result:
able to add Thrift/Rest server with configs
add appropriate alerts
Only Rest shows up in the summary panel since REST came with BigInsights
4.0 (but was lost when it merged with HDP 2.3) after digging, this seems to
be because you need a stack change or extension to recompile app.js to
include the new information.

There also appears to be an inheritance problem when stacks operate on the
same common-service.

BigInsights 4.0 adds the HBase Rest Server, but this isn't anywhere in the
HDP Stack so it doesn't show up as a possibility.  However, if you add a
reference to the HDP 2.3 metainfo.xml, it will pick up all of the
BigInsights code.

Re: Modifying a Stack with an Extension

Posted by David Quiroga <qu...@gmail.com>.
We have been able to add the management of HBase Thrift and Rest into our
Ambari via custom management packs.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Management+Packs#ManagementPacks-Add%C2%AD-OnServiceManagementPackStructure

In our mpacks there is a metainfo.xml under the common-services,
custom-services, and extensions folders.

I suspect the extensions might not work as expected because the services
don't exist in core HDP.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:53 AM, jeremy montgomery <alericmckearn@gmail.com