Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Anastasia <an...@pdf3d.com> on 2014/03/17 07:52:08 UTC

Table of Content

Good Day!

We are interested in using the FOP Apache application. But we require
the function of making Table of Contents and Index in the document.
Could you please tell us, is there a way to create a table of contents
and index in your program? As the only way to implement it, that we see,
is to create a simple table. Thank you for your answer!

--
Best regards, Anastasya.

Re: Table of Content

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Am 19.03.14 09:40, schrieb Glenn Adams:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Michael Wechner
> <mi...@wyona.com>wrote:
>
>> I think this is rather an XSL-FO question
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSL_Formatting_Objects
>
> Not really. See my prior.

I guess you are refering to

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/201403.mbox/browser

Sorry I missed that, but I basically meant what you were describing.

Thanks

Michael

Re: Table of Content

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Re: Table of Content

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: Table of Content

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
This is a task for XSLT or a pre-processor used in conjunction with FOP.
You need to process your incoming data to generate a ToC using FOP
primitives, and then FOP will do the formatting. XSLT gives you one way to
do that processing, but there are others. Best to think of FOP as simply a
converter from XSL-FO to PDF (or PS, AFP, etc), and nothing more. For the
sake of convenience, FOP allows you to provide input via an input XML file
and an XSLT file, where the XSLT file specifies a transformation from your
input XML file into XSL-FO primitives. But that's all it does. It is up to
you to determine that transformation.

Good Luck,
Glenn

Re: Table of Content

Posted by Joe Wicentowski <jo...@gmail.com>.
> It's also covered in XSLT by Toug Tidwell.

Small correction - that's Doug Tidwell ;)

Re: Table of Content

Posted by paul womack <pw...@papermule.co.uk>.
Anastasia wrote:
> Good Day!
>
> We are interested in using the FOP Apache application. But we require the function of making Table of Contents and Index in the document. Could you please tell us, is there a way to create a table of contents and index in your program? As the only way to implement it, that we see, is to create a simple table. Thank you for your answer!

There's a chapter called "Indexing and Table of Contents" in the O'Reilly
Book "XSL-FO" by Dave Pearson, from 2002!

It's also covered in XSLT by Toug Tidwell.

   BugBear

RE: Table of Content

Posted by Bernard Giannetti <th...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Anastasya,
After a bit of Googling I found these...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7159747/xsl-fo-creating-dynamic-table-of-contents
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7284236/xsl-fo-how-to-generate-table-of-contents
http://www.data2type.de/en/xml-xslt-xslfo/xsl-fo/examples-of-application/tables-of-contents-example-20/
http://www.xmlpdf.com/tableofcontents.html