Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2012/09/23 22:29:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin

Hi

In RAT-78 there is a request to upgrade to a newer version of Doxia.
That is a reasonable request given the fact that the current version we
are using is 1.0-alpha-8 which is *really* old.

Now, in order to decide which version of Doxia to use we need to first
define the minimum version of Maven we want to support. Currently our
plugin requires Maven 2.0.6 which came out in 2007. Over in Maven land
we currently target Maven 2.2.1 as the minimum version for our plugins.

The reason for this question is because different versions of Maven
comes with different versions of Doxia. This is an unfortunate hard
connection between the two, but starting with Maven 3 there are no
longer any direct dependencies on Doxia in Maven core. See this wiki
page for some history in the matter:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan

We really only have two choices:

1. Require Maven 2.0.11 and use Doxia 1.0.x

2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+

Unless anyone has strong objections I plan on going with option 2 here.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 09/24/12 12:35, P. Ottlinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 23.09.2012 22:29, schrieb Dennis Lundberg:
>> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
>> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+
>
> +1 - no problem with modern environments.

+1

Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@aiki-it.de>.
Hi,

Am 23.09.2012 22:29, schrieb Dennis Lundberg:
> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+

+1 - no problem with modern environments.

Cheers
Phil

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Done, I went with Doxia 1.2.

I support that.

--
The best argument for celibacy is that the clergy will sooner or later
become extinct.

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Re: Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/24/12 00:40, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-21 21:59, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>> How close are we now...?
>
> We're there.
> I've update a few Maven plugins to fix a few problems with the build.

:-)

>> Consensus seems to be that this is good enough for now
>
> I agree.

:-)

>> How much is left to do...?
>
> All done.

:-)

>> I've reworked and published to
>> http://creadur.apache.org/rat/site-publish.html
>
> I took it for a test drive and made a few minor tweaks.

:-)

Robert

Re: Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Rat 0.9 TODO [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/06/12 20:45, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-06 21:28, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Yes, I think so.

How close are we now...?

>>> I have these things left on my todo list:
>>>
>>> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123

Consensus seems to be that this is good enough for now

>>> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
>>> they can be validated

How much is left to do...?

Re: [WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-06 21:28, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?
>>
>> Yes, I think so. I have these things left on my todo list:
>>
>> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123
>> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
>> they can be validated
>> C. Rewrite src/site/apt/site-publish.apt, given that we're not in the
>> incubator any more
>>
>> - Robert has assigned A to himself.
>
> I've regenerated the Rat subsite with the beginnings of some content for
> core[1]. Feedback welcomed :-)

Looks good to me.

> One of the problems posed by improving the documentation is that Rat
> core really needs a good refactor into a much simpler and conventional
> design. This would probably mean adding more integration tests before
> starting.
>
> There a balance that needs to be struck between better documentation
> about the current mess, and moving towards a more reasonable design.
>
> Opinions? Suggestions?

For now the documentation for Rat core is good enough. At least it is
about Rat core now :)

Going forward we can improve the docs as needed if/when a refactoring
takes place.

--
Dennis Lundberg

[WAS Re: Release Rat ...?]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin [WAS Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin] ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/18/12 19:33, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-18 11:01, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Any objections to me switching the rat build to use
>> maven-scm-publish-plugin for site generation and updating the
>> documentation?
>
> No objections from me. Go ahead.

Taking a look now...

Robert

Improved Site Publication Documentation [WAS Re: Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/18/12 19:33, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-18 11:01, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Any objections to me switching the rat build to use
>> maven-scm-publish-plugin for site generation and updating the
>> documentation?
>
> No objections from me. Go ahead.

documented here:

   http://creadur.apache.org/rat/site-publish.html

feedback welcomed :-)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Switch to maven-scm-publish-plugin [WAS Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin] ...?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: Maven SCM Publish Plugin WAS Re: Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]]

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/11/17 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> On 11/15/12 22:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> I've given it a spin, and it seems to work okay. Takes a while, but then
>>> so
>>> does CMS upload. There seem to be a lot of commit messages.
>>>
>>> Is this a known limitation, or am I doing something wrong...?
>>
>> no and no :-)
>

> :-)
>
>> javadoc files can be timestamped so recommitted again with site build
>> even if no real content change.
>> maven generated files too but only at day level whereas javadoc seconds
>> level.
>

> So... would setting notimestamp on the javadoc plugin be a good idea...?
Sure !

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/15/12 22:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2012/11/15 Robert Burrell Donkin<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:

>> <snip>

>>> I use it for Apache projects (Archiva, Directmemory, helix incubator)
>>> and works fine.
>>

>> I've given it a spin, and it seems to work okay. Takes a while, but then so
>> does CMS upload. There seem to be a lot of commit messages.
>>
>> Is this a known limitation, or am I doing something wrong...?
> no and no :-)

:-)

> javadoc files can be timestamped so recommitted again with site build
> even if no real content change.
> maven generated files too but only at day level whereas javadoc seconds level.

So... would setting notimestamp on the javadoc plugin be a good idea...?

Even if some tuning is still needed, the plugin seems an improvement to
the process described in the current documentation[2]. Any objections to

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/11/6 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> On 11/06/12 20:08, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-11-05 21:42, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>

> <snip>

>>> What's the current state of play wrt Maven ->  Apache CMS integration...?
>>

>> There is a plugin called "Maven SCM Publish Plugin" [1], of which
>> version 1.0-beta-2 has just been released. The purpose of it is to
>> publish a Maven generated site to any supported SCM, such as the ASF new
>> svnpubsub model for publishing sites. I haven't tried it myself yet.
>>
>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-scm-publish-plugin/
>

> Anyone have a few cycles to give this a try?
I use it for Apache projects (Archiva, Directmemory, helix incubator)
and works fine.
Let me know if you need some help on this part.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 11/04/12 16:52, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?
>
> Yes, I think so. I have these things left on my todo list:
>
> A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123
> B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
> they can be validated
> C. Rewrite src/site/apt/site-publish.apt, given that we're not in the
> incubator any more
>
> - Robert has assigned A to himself.

I wrote some stuff at the weekend, but then accidentally deleted tonight
(Doh!)

> - I'll take care of B tonight.

:-)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hi
>
> (Just trying to pick up where we are on this...)
>
>> In RAT-78 there is a request to upgrade to a newer version of Doxia.
>> That is a reasonable request given the fact that the current version we
>> are using is 1.0-alpha-8 which is *really* old.
>
> +1
>
>> Now, in order to decide which version of Doxia to use we need to first
>> define the minimum version of Maven we want to support. Currently our
>> plugin requires Maven 2.0.6 which came out in 2007. Over in Maven land
>> we currently target Maven 2.2.1 as the minimum version for our plugins.
>>
>> The reason for this question is because different versions of Maven
>> comes with different versions of Doxia. This is an unfortunate hard
>> connection between the two, but starting with Maven 3 there are no
>> longer any direct dependencies on Doxia in Maven core. See this wiki
>> page for some history in the matter:
>>
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan
>>
>> We really only have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Require Maven 2.0.11 and use Doxia 1.0.x
>>
>> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
>> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+
>>
>> Unless anyone has strong objections I plan on going with option 2 here.
>
> +1
>
> AIUI Dennis has applied [1] and [2] (thanks :-)

You're welcome :-)

--
Dennis Lundberg

Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.