Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/06/19 16:50:19 UTC

0.7.2k and an idea

I put 0.7.2k on hyperreal last night, but I won't recomend it for serious
use at the moment.. it has some problem with redirects.. this will be
a 50% less fat version when it's stable.

An idea for XBITHACK and more...
You might remember me suggesting that Apache could replace XBITHACK
by looking for .shtml when a .html wasn't found, well here's what I
think is a better solution, and one which will probably have some other
really useful applications..

Given a URL, say   x/y/z/foo.html,  after Apache finds its way to the
directory x/y/z/, it looks for a special map file, x/y/z/files.map which
could contain things like

foo.html/foo.shtml                  ( '/' is the onle safe char to use)
logo.gif/logo
index.html/index.asis

..so that before Apache goes any futher, it does a mapping on the filename.
In the example above, my 'foo.html' is changed to 'foo.shtml' so that it
can have includes. 'logo.gif' is changed to 'logo' so that multiviews or
content-neg can pick the best type. 'index.html' becomes an '.asis' so it
can redirect somewhere else.

Simple, but very powerful me thinks.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/

Re: 0.7.2k and an idea

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Sounds simple, but doesn't that require reading and parsing "files.map"
for every response?  Even with everything cached, it sounds like a
strain.  Why is having the link point to a basename and doing globbing on
file extension less elegant?

	Brian