Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/16 18:25:47 UTC

any manual or howto to convert mysql database structure to derby

Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
I am looking for a how-to or manual which help me to convert a Mysql
database structure to derby one.
do you know any?
 Thank you so much

Re: any manual or howto to convert mysql database structure to derby

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Michael Segel wrote:
> On the topic of documentation, I'd strongly suggest that the current
> documentation gets a facelift, along with some indexing and enhancements.
> (Sorry, but the reference manual is really a pain to read.) Don't know what
> tools exist, but using a better layout manager, creating an indexed
> postscript manual may make life easier...
>
> Anyone have access to current publishing software?
> Or is there any Opensource doc publishing software available?
>
> If you want to grow derby, fixing things like Derby-47 go a long way, but
> having easy to read and access docs will definitely grease the wheels.

Indeed, the Derby documentation needs improvement. Every Apache project
I know begs for documentation contributors, so I'll take this
opportunity to beg on behalf of Derby.

The list at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY shows there are
many open documentation issues. I would encourage anyone who would like
to contribute documentation improvements to subscribe to the derby-dev
list and participate in the doc discussions there. Doc contributors are
sorely needed and you'll be heartily welcomed.

  -jean

Re: any manual or howto to convert mysql database structure to derby

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@segel.com>.
On Wednesday 16 November 2005 11:35, Dan Scott wrote:
> It's not a HOWTO, more like a presentation describing the experiences
> I had and observations I formed when trying to port an application
> from MySQL to Derby, but I think you'll find a lot of good material in
> it:
>
> http://talks.php.net/show/mysql-limits

Hmmm.

I guess maybe its time to formalize this. I think that one should consider
MySQL, SQLServer, Postgress to start with.
Then you could add Revelation or your favorite Pick Variant too.

(And no, I'm actually being serious.)

--
Michael Segel
Principal

Re: any manual or howto to convert mysql database structure to derby

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Dan Scott wrote:
> Hopefully this will get you started, and even more hopefully you will
> be able to write down your own experiences. Perhaps we should start a
> "Porting" page on the Derby wiki at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/...

go for it! Anyone can create/modify a Wiki page. All that's required is
to create a Wiki profile, if you haven't done so already.

  -jean

Re: any manual or howto to convert mysql database structure to derby

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
It's not a HOWTO, more like a presentation describing the experiences
I had and observations I formed when trying to port an application
from MySQL to Derby, but I think you'll find a lot of good material in
it:

http://talks.php.net/show/mysql-limits

(Firefox or Mozilla is definitely recommended for viewing this
presentation; press the right-arrow key to move through slides and
make hidden text appear).

Hopefully this will get you started, and even more hopefully you will
be able to write down your own experiences. Perhaps we should start a
"Porting" page on the Derby wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/...

Dan