Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Pappagudi Mani, Sriram" <sr...@te.com> on 2016/03/25 08:29:04 UTC

Regarding Tomcat 6.0 Performance Issues

Hi Team,

We are using Tomcat 6.0 as our AR System Mid-Tier and we are getting performance issues of 150% CPU utilization as shown below.

MESSAGE: us194px04.tycoelectronics.net - Total Processor Time (150.57%) for tomcat6 process has met/exceeded the threshold (80.00%)

NODE: us194px04.tycoelectronics.net

When this alert starts triggering, one of our Web Services running in this Tomcat Server starts failing and starts throwing the below error.

US194WB136.us.tycoelectronics.com TycoApps HRFormTool 3/17/2016 12:33:44 PM [DE] CreateRemedyTicket: Unable to connect to the remote server at 2016-03-17 16:33:44Z US194WB136.us.tycoelectronics.com TycoApps HRFormTool

When we spoke with the BMC Support we got the below recommendations for increasing the Heap Size and also change in the GC Settings as shown below.

Those settings are:

-XX:+UseCompressedOops

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

-XX:+UseParNewGC

-XX:NewRatio=3

-XX:PermSize=256m

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

-XX:ErrorFile=\java_hs_err.log

-XX:HeapDumpPath= (Add path here)

Note: Min and Max heapsize recommended is 1024 and 2048 (These values can be changed and optimized according to the environment).

We wanted to understand whether the above changes would increase the performance of the Tomcat Server and also resolve the above specified error.

Expecting your expert level guidance on the above issue.

Thank you,

Sriram.

Re: Regarding Tomcat 6.0 Performance Issues

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
This is the Apache Community mailing list. This community of volunteers
aims to help newcomers to The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) and to
our many Apache projects take their first steps towards being a part of
our community.

Your technical question about Apache Tomcat, one of our many projects,
will be best answered on the Apache Tomcat users' mailing list. For
details of how to subscribe and post to that list see this page:

http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users

Mark