Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Vidhyashankar Venkataraman <vi...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/09/17 00:59:27 UTC

Hbase rollback..

Hi
  Can someone explain (or refer me to a twiki which explains) which versions of Hbase can be safely rolled back i.e., without any changes to the underlying database and state?

Thank you
Vidhya

Re: Hbase rollback..

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
That is correct.  But we are confident with the new durability changes and
other things 0.90 will be safer and faster than 0.20.6.

Re: Hbase rollback..

Posted by Sean Bigdatafun <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for clarifying this.

Re: Hbase rollback..

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Hbase rollback..

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Vidhyashankar Venkataraman
> <vi...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >  Can someone explain (or refer me to a twiki which explains) which
> versions of Hbase can be safely rolled back i.e., without any changes to the
> underlying database and state?
> >

> You cannot rollback without cluster restart, not yet anyways.
>
> If you cluster restart, you can go back from latest 0.20 release all
> the ways to 0.20.0 I believe.  There were no changes in data format
> changes.  You cannot go back beyond 0.20.x to 0.19.x.  Data format
> changed between those versions.
>
> Its looking like it might be possible to go back to 0.20.x from 0.89.x
> or even 0.90.x its looking like since again no format changes.

What about region ID naming changes? I don't think the new region IDs would
work in 0.20.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Hbase rollback..

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
<vi...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi
>  Can someone explain (or refer me to a twiki which explains) which versions of Hbase can be safely rolled back i.e., without any changes to the underlying database and state?

You cannot rollback without cluster restart, not yet anyways.

If you cluster restart, you can go back from latest 0.20 release all
the ways to 0.20.0 I believe.  There were no changes in data format
changes.  You cannot go back beyond 0.20.x to 0.19.x.  Data format
changed between those versions.

Its looking like it might be possible to go back to 0.20.x from 0.89.x
or even 0.90.x its looking like since again no format changes.

Why you asking?
St.Ack