Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nick Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/18 22:37:46 UTC

Spark is now available via Homebrew

OS X / Homebrew users,

It looks like you can now download Spark simply by doing:

brew install apache-spark

I’m new to Homebrew, so I’m not too sure how people are intended to use
this. I’m guessing this would just be a convenient way to get the latest
release onto your workstation, and from there use spark-ec2 to launch
clusters.

Anyway, just a cool thing to point out.

Nick
​

Re: Spark is now available via Homebrew

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, it would be better if Apache controlled or managed this directly.

I think making such a change is just a matter of opening a new issue
<https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/new> on the Homebrew issue
tracker. I believe that's how Spark made it in there in the first place--it
was just a user contribution.

Nick

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
>From the user perspective, I don't think it's a big deal either way. It
looks like contributors to Homebrew are pretty on top of keeping things
updated.

For the users, Apache managing this would mostly mean a) a shorter period
of time from release to brew availability, and b) the brew installation
method is now "official".

Offering b) to users does indeed require a commitment from the dev team, so
that definitely should be weighed carefully.

Nick

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Matei,

Posted by Sheryl John <sh...@gmail.com>.
Cool.

wrote:

> Interesting, does anyone know the people over there who set it up? It
> would be good if Apache itself could publish packages there, though I'm not
> sure what's involved. Since Spark just depends on Java and Python it should
> be easy for us to update.
>
> Matei
>
> On Jun 18, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Nick Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> OS X / Homebrew users,
>
> It looks like you can now download Spark simply by doing:
>
> brew install apache-spark
>
> I'm new to Homebrew, so I'm not too sure how people are intended to use
> this. I'm guessing this would just be a convenient way to get the latest
> release onto your workstation, and from there use spark-ec2 to launch
> clusters.
>
> Anyway, just a cool thing to point out.
>
> Nick

-Sheryl