Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Tom <ph...@telenet.be> on 2010/09/23 21:59:33 UTC

Introduction & contributing

Hi there,

I recently had a look at OpenCMIS while investigating CMIS (for a project at
my workplace), and have to admit I was quite impressed by it. I found it to
be already quite mature, at least a lot more than I expected, and I think
it's great that there's an open source solution for CMIS. So, I thought I'd
give a small introduction, and perhaps get some pointers on how to
contribute and make OpenCMIS (even ;)) better.

I've been an "ECM consultant" for nearly 3 years now, working mostly with
Documentum, alongside a bit of DocuShare (Xerox) and a tiny bit of
SharePoint and very occasionally some Alfresco. The focus of my work has
almost always been on developing applications on top of the repository, and
as such I'm really interested in the CMIS standard, and I hope it'll get the
adoption it deserves. As for open source projects, I don't really have much
practical experience.

So far I've only briefly used the client API (in conjunction with a DCTM
repository that's running the EMC CMIS EA4 release), but I'd like to help
out where I can. An idea I'm playing with is having a small series of
introductory (and perhaps more advanced) blog posts on the company website
(whenever the new version of that is ever finished), for starters.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom