Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by tr...@clayst.com on 2006/04/15 06:08:31 UTC

[users@httpd] 1.3.34 Crashing Regularly on Windows

I have been fighting this issue for a while now but recently I've been
trying to track it down as it has become very annoying.

Here's the setup I am currently using on my Windows system when doing
some development (the live server is on Unix and there are no such
issues):

	XP Professional SP1 Build 2600
	Apache 1.3.34, Windows binaries downloaded via apache.org
	PHP 4.4.0, Windows binaries downloaded via php.net; no other
		modules added beyond Apache base configuration
	Name-based virtual hosting with three server names off
		of localhost

I am getting regular crashes on an attempt to redirect via a Location:
header -- if I kill Apache and restart it will get somewhat further
before crashing so it isn't always the first redirect that fails.
Browser doesn't seem to matter, it fails with Mozilla 1.7.8 and IE
6.0.2800.1106.

Log level debug yields the following in error.log, which doesn't look
like it says much of import:

    [Sat Apr 15 00:04:48 2006] [info] Parent: Created child process
    2884

    [Sat Apr 15 00:04:48 2006] [info] Parent: Duplicating socket 1900
    and sending it to child process 2884

    [Sat Apr 15 00:04:48 2006] [info] BytesRead = 372 WSAProtocolInfo
    = 2006620

    [Sat Apr 15 00:04:59 2006] [info] master_main: Child processed
    exited prematurely. Restarting the child process.

For the technically inclined the crashes are access violations at
0x77f585c0. If I allow the debugger to run the instruction is:

77F585C0   mov         dword ptr [ecx],eax

and ecx is 0x00080100.

Anyone have a clue here?  I first thought it was due to use of the SSL-
enabled version but I switched to the non-SSL version and get the same
results.

The pieces I added to the default httpd.conf were:

	- Add LoadModule, AddModule, and AddType for PHP.
	- Add virtual hosting section (below)
	- Add index.php to DirectoryIndex
	- Adjust DocumentRoot

Here is the virtual hosting section:

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80

# Default local host
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName localhost
    ServerAdmin tr@localhost
    DocumentRoot "d:/webdev/htdocs/"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.shtml index.htm
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php
</VirtualHost>

# Client "live" local host
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName live
    ServerAdmin tr@localhost
    DocumentRoot "d:/client/live/html/"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.shtml index.htm
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php
</VirtualHost>

# Client "dev" local host
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName dev
    ServerAdmin tr@localhost
    DocumentRoot "d:/client/dev/html/"
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.shtml index.htm
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ErrorDocument 404 /missing.php
</VirtualHost>

Thanks for any feedback!