Posted to user@drill.apache.org by "Tamil selvan R.S" <ta...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/04 14:42:28 UTC

Request for a wiki on programatically submitting queries to drill

I tried to use the jdbc jar that gets shipped in with drill and ended up in
this state finally,

Connecting to database...
java.sql.SQLException: Running Drill in embedded mode using the JDBC jar
alone is not supported.
at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.DrillConnectionImpl.<init>(DrillConnectionImpl.java:67)
at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.DrillJdbc41Factory$DrillJdbc41Connection.<init>(DrillJdbc41Factory.java:88)
at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.DrillJdbc41Factory.newDrillConnection(DrillJdbc41Factory.java:57)
at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.DrillJdbc41Factory.newDrillConnection(DrillJdbc41Factory.java:43)
at org.apache.drill.jdbc.DrillFactory.newConnection(DrillFactory.java:51)
at
net.hydromatic.avatica.UnregisteredDriver.connect(UnregisteredDriver.java:135)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:571)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:233)
at DrillTry.main(DrillTry.java:32)
at
at
at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:120)
Goodbye!

On Further research landed on the issue below
*https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-1409
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-1409>*

What should be done to get of this state? Am I supposed to include all the
jars inside jar folder? Including 3rd Party? A detailed wiki on this topic
would be of great use [Given few pointers I can manage to create one as
well], as programatically querying the data is a most common use case and
the REST based solution looks a round about.

Regards,
Tamil.s

Re: Request for a wiki on programatically submitting queries to drill

Posted by "Tamil selvan R.S" <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jackques,
Thanks for ur quick response. I understood the same from the code base.
Will try to setup a dedicated drill bit and will share my results.

Our goal is to query parquet data using drill to take advantage of
parquet's columnar representation and drill's fast query performance on
such data.

I like the drill's ability to query raw parquet data over other complex
storage and retrieval systems (presto, hive and hdfs).

Thanks again,
Tamil.s

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.