Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2020/02/05 00:21:16 UTC

[discuss] NetCAT 12.0 schedule

Hello NetBeans fans,

    as Geertjan correctly pointed out earlier this week it would be
great if we try to prepare for NetCAT 12.0 program in advance including
plan of action and review/creation of test specifications. I have taken
into consideration my experience from coordinating NetCATs in the past
and based on the overall NetBeans release schedule I come today with
this NetCAT 12.0 timetable:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetCAT

If you have any feedback (both constructive or appreciative) I would
love to hear that.

Now heading to bed finally. :)

-Jirka

Re: [discuss] NetCAT 12.0 schedule

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020, 00:31 Eric Barboni, <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> As per 11.2 new json stuff we can name what we want even netcat-beta1 (we
> put a name to a git hash and the brave (very brave) Jenkins build it
> branded ) to be clear to NetCAT tribe member.

Yes, that might be good. My complaint was only about use of term voting
candidate for things that aren't being voted on. :-)

If I understand correctly according to RELEASE schedule,  just after 11.3
> (in march) we will  create branch release120, and have the merge windows to
> close faster than for other quarterly release.

This is correct, and why I said we'd have to shift everything back a month
if we did with 11.3.

Shift is good anyway, gives us more testing time with new JDKs.

If "mysuperdonation/feature" (because of legal stuff, code review ...)  is
> ready just after 11.3 do we accept it to 12.0 LTS ? or do we postpone to
> next feature 12.1 ? Same question if "mysuperdonation/feature" ready during
> NetCAT in progress?

Generally I'd say the bigger it is the more likely it should wait for 12.1.
That was how it was written, anyway. We've definitely already said C/C++
won't be in it, but I guess other things we decide case by case?

The schedule was written to give us 9 months a year concentrated on new
features, and 3 months on making them perfect. :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

RE: [discuss] NetCAT 12.0 schedule

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 I guess the big picture is ok for me.

As per 11.2 new json stuff we can name what we want even netcat-beta1 (we put a name to a git hash and the brave (very brave) Jenkins build it branded ) to be clear to NetCAT tribe member.

If I understand correctly according to RELEASE schedule,  just after 11.3 (in march) we will  create branch release120, and have the merge windows to close faster than for other quarterly release.

If "mysuperdonation/feature" (because of legal stuff, code review ...)  is ready just after 11.3 do we accept it to 12.0 LTS ? or do we postpone to next feature 12.1 ? Same question if "mysuperdonation/feature" ready during NetCAT in progress?

Best Regards
Eric

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jirka,

Thanks for putting this together.  I think the timeline looks good.

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau