Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by tyler <iw...@speakeasy.net> on 2004/03/19 05:13:31 UTC

Tomcat xml errors.

I'm having a problem starting up tomcat.

I just downloaded Tomcat 5.0.19, and tried to execute the startup
script.

When I did, I got the following error.....

<snip>
INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:/Users/tyler/Desktop/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/conf/Catalina/
localhost/admin.xml
Mar 17, 2004 6:37:24 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester fatalError
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 1 column 3: The markup declarations
contained or pointed to by the document type declaration must be
well-formed.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup declarations contained or
pointed to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.
	at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unkno
wn Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
</snip>

So, thinking it was a problem with the xml parser (since the documents
look to be ok) I tried it again, after removing the xerces jars so that
it would use whatever XML services were built into the system. Here's
the error I got that time....

<snip>
INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL
file:/Users/tyler/Desktop/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19/conf/Catalina/
localhost/admin.xml
Mar 17, 2004 6:31:07 PM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester fatalError
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 1 column -1: External parameter
entity "%[dtd];" has characters after markup.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: External parameter entity "%[dtd];" has
characters after markup.
	at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3339)
	at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3333)
	at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.externalParameterEntity(Parser2.java:
3061)
	at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeDoctypeDecl(Parser2.java:1314)
	at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:623)
</snip>

So, I'm wondering what's going on?

Now for some background....

I'm running OS X, 10.3.3 with Java 1.4.2. I have had the same problem
from tomcat 3.x and most of
the tomcat 4.x, as well as all of the 5.x builds. Strangely, 4.0.6
seems to work, but it's a little flaky and I want to upgrade to a more
recent version.

This problem has been pervasive for a long time, since at least 10.3.0
(for me) and java 1.4.1.

A close variant (probably the exact same thing) prevents jboss from
working as well. I was never able to get a version of Jboss
to start up without trouble.

I ran some google searches, but nothing useful came up.

In addition, those files are both at the correct location, pointing my
webrowser at the given URL brings them up just fine.

Does someone know what is happening? Surely this has been reported
before.

-Tyler
tjw19@columbia.edu