Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Kevin P. Fleming (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <kp...@bloomberg.net> on 2020/04/14 22:02:11 UTC

New SustainOSS initiative: Principles of Authentic Participation

At the recent SustainOSS event in Brussels (right after FOSDEM), one of the working groups formed to address corporate accountability and transparency in open source projects. We've continued working since that time, and have an initial draft out for public review and comment.

First, the link:

https://authentic-participation.readthedocs.io/

Second, the Discourse forum where discussion of the Principles themselves has taken place:

https://discourse.sustainoss.org/t/principles-of-authentic-participation-continuing-the-sustain-conversation/284

Now, why am I sending this to the comdev mailing list? I'm glad you asked :-)

The group which has been working on this project is interested in gathering more input/feedback from communities who are the recipients of corporate engagement, and clearly the Apache community has many projects which receive significant contribution from corporations (and similar organizations). I volunteered to reach out to the Apache community to bring awareness of this project to those who might be interested, so there's the answer!

Realistically, I'm hoping for two types of results here:

* Some members of the Apache community may be interested in joining the working group and helping to craft, publish, and evangelize the Principles.

* Some members of the Apache community may be interested in providing feedback, anecdotes, or other indications of how the Principles could have been valuable in the (recent) past in their projects or communities.

For the first group, I encourage you to join the Discourse forum, and/or join the regularly scheduled working sessions (times and links are posted on the forum).

For the second group, I'm happy to participate in a thread here, or in a less-public email thread if that's relevant, or in additional threads in the Discourse forum if that's preferable.

Please note that we're not looking to name-and-shame anyone here, and we're not looking for horror stories of bad engagement, but we are looking for examples where having something like the Principles in place may have been valuable when addressing issues in a community. The goal is to provide a broad set of indicators to the open source community about how the Principles could be valuable, and to encourage corporations and other organizations to make pledges that they will abide by the Principles.

Also, for those of you who don't know me I'm the head of open source community engagement at Bloomberg, and I'm working on this project as both a Bloomberg employee and in my personal capacity. I'm willing to discuss this wearing either hat, as appropriate.

Thanks in advance for your time, and I hope you find this project interesting.

Re: New SustainOSS initiative: Principles of Authentic Participation

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
It's an important topic and dear to my heart.

I joined the discourse thread and I am happy to share some of my
feedback and anecdotes from the experience of an engineer working at a
Software House that is hired by several customers to work on several Open
Source projects (Apache Airflow, Apache Beam, recently Apache Flink and few
others).

You can see a relevant story I shared recently at "Success of Apache" that
touches the subject quite a bit
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/success-at-apache-welcoming-communities

Also I wrote an article about it some time ago at my company's blog:
https://www.polidea.com/blog/the-evolution-of-open-source-standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants/

Let me know if any of those seems relevant and interesting - and I am happy
to expand some of the topics I mentioned there. I will read through the
discourse thread (already signed up and marked my availability) and maybe I
can come up with some stories during the next week or so.

J.

--
+48 660 796 129