Posted to community@apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2004/12/02 13:52:03 UTC

Update to mailing lists page

Re: Update to mailing lists page

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ken, perhaps avoid repetitous questions by
declaring the criteria for list inclusion
on the face of the page.

--David

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El vie, 10-12-2004 a las 01:13 +0000, Sebastian Bazley escribió:
> I find the page useful too.
>
> However, it does take rather a long time to load.

This is the (in)famous Page Length Tax whose announcement was missed by
BenL earlier in the thread. ;-)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Ken:

The link is very nice! Can you add the cvs mail lists to see the activity
of them too?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

On Jue, 2 de Diciembre de 2004, 6:52, Rodent of Unusual Size dijo:

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>>>The usual answer is to put one axis at the left, one at the right.
>

> Excellent; that's a useful suggestion for a solution.  Done.  The
> left-hand side now shows the highwater mark for subscriptions, and
> the right-hand side shows it for posts.
>

>>>I must've missed the Page Length Tax announcement ;-)
>

> Didn't you hear?  Tsk, tsk..

So why don't you have the peak right at the top instead of wasting the
top 20% - isn't there extra tax for blank sections?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>>this is cool!  Any chance we can get labeled x and y axis?
>

> No, not unless you can convince of a way to do it that makes
> sense.

I wrote a few shell scripts to do

  http://simile.mit.edu/charts.html

I'm using the excellent Ploticus (http://ploticus.sf.net) tool to
generate the graphs out of simple space-separated data.

This is the script that does the subscribers:

http://simile.mit.edu/repository/site/scripts/stats/scripts/subscribers.script

it's ran every night and generates the data here

http://simile.mit.edu/charts/subscribers/general/data

[NOTE: there was a bug so the deltas are all screwed in the past, but it
should be fixed now]

http://simile.mit.edu/charts/subscribers/

The script is in the public domain so, feel free to use it or to tear
apart :-)

--
Stefano.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <br...@apache.org>.
Quoting Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
> > this is cool!  Any chance we can get labeled x and y axis?
>
> No, not unless you can convince of a way to do it that makes
> sense.  As I said,
>
> > The graph is for showing trends *only*.  Both the post-count and
> > the subscriber-count lines are scaled properly, but each uses
> > its *own* scale to fit nicely into the chart.  So you can safely
> > say, 'Cool!  More and more people are subscribing!' but not
> > necessarily, 'Cool!  Four people subscribed last Tuesday!'
>
> Trying to put numbers on it would require two sets of numbers, in
> two colours, on both axes.  And to make them legible would require
> enlarging the image, which would make the page considerably longer.

The second paragraph on the page is contextually removed from the graphs.
Personally, I only looked at the graphs and didn't have a clue what the blue
lines and red lines meant.
Labels without units would be nice.  Or just a small "key" or "legend" link by
each graph which targets the 2nd paragraph (which then should be labelled "key"
or "legend").

Sorry for so much nit-pickyness.  It's really cool to see the work you've put in
to this.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.

geir@gluecode.com

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Echo Geir's "this is cool!" sentiment.  Just to reconfirm, this is public data,
correct?  That is, I can post a link to this page on my blog, or on one of the
public mailing lists itself...

Yoav

name=www.apache.org/~coar/derby-dev_db_apache_org.png