Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org> on 2019/09/13 07:26:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Storing images in source repository

Hi,

Recently the hbtop tool (HBASE-11062) was merged and it also includes a
nice README documentation with demos in GIF format.

Although I think we should have more documentation like this, probably it
is not a good idea to store the images in the source repository. The size
of these GIF images is 31MB which is not huge, however, it will be included
in the release tarballs from now on and every time we pull the repository
for the builds it adds +31MB every time.

My recommendation is to keep similar images in a different place, for
example in the hbase-site repository and link the images from there.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: [DISCUSS] Storing images in source repository

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Sounds good to me.

Maybe a comment in the hbtop readme source with a pointer about how to
update the image content since folks might not know to look at hbase-site?

Posted by Toshihiro Suzuki <br...@apache.org>.
> We should not rewrite history. It will remain there but when you do
shallow
> clone it won't fetch this data. Our build jobs only fetch the latest 50
> commits currently.

Okay. So I will just move the images to the hbase-site repository (
https://github.com/apache/hbase-site)
and the README itself to the HBase Book in HBASE-22986
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-22986>.

Thanks,
Toshi

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.