Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by "York, Brennon" <Br...@capitalone.com> on 2014/12/01 00:03:05 UTC

Re: Spurious test failures, testing best practices

+1, you aren¹t alone in this. I certainly would like some clarity in these
things well, but, as its been said on this listserv a few times (and you
noted), most developers use `sbt` for their day-to-day compilations to
greatly speed up the iterative testing process. I personally use `sbt` for
all builds until I¹m ready to submit a PR and *then* run ./dev/run-tests
to ensure all the tests / code I¹ve written still pass (i.e. nothing
breaks in the code I¹ve changed or downstream). Sometimes, like you¹ve
said, you still get errors with the ./dev/run-tests script, but, for me,
it comes down to where the errors initiate from and whether I¹m confident
the code I wrote caused it or not as the delimiter to whether I submit the
PR.

Again, not a great answer and hoping others can shed more light, but thats
my 2c on the problem.

On 11/30/14, 5:39 PM, "Ryan Williams" <ry...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In the course of trying to make contributions to Spark, I have had a lot
>of
>trouble running Spark's tests successfully. The main pain points I've
>experienced are:
>
>    1) frequent, spurious test failures
>    2) high latency of running tests
>    3) difficulty running specific tests in an iterative fashion
>
>Here is an example series of failures that I encountered this weekend
>(along with footnote links to the console output from each and
>approximately how long each took):
>
>- `./dev/run-tests` [1]: failure in BroadcastSuite that I've not seen
>before.
>- `mvn '-Dsuites=*BroadcastSuite*' test` [2]: same failure.
>- `mvn '-Dsuites=*BroadcastSuite* Unpersisting' test` [3]: BroadcastSuite
>passed, but scala compiler crashed on the "catalyst" project.
>- `mvn clean`: some attempts to run earlier commands (that previously
>didn't crash the compiler) all result in the same compiler crash. Previous
>discussion on this list implies this can only be solved by a `mvn clean`
>[4].
>- `mvn '-Dsuites=*BroadcastSuite*' test` [5]: immediately post-clean,
>BroadcastSuite can't run because assembly is not built.
>- `./dev/run-tests` again [6]: pyspark tests fail, some messages about
>version mismatches and python 2.6. The machine this ran on has python 2.7,
>so I don't know what that's about.
>- `./dev/run-tests` again [7]: "too many open files" errors in several
>tests. `ulimit -a` shows a maximum of 4864 open files. Apparently this is
>not enough, but only some of the time? I increased it to 8192 and tried
>again.
>- `./dev/run-tests` again [8]: same pyspark errors as before. This seems
>be the issue from SPARK-3867 [9], which was supposedly fixed on October
>14;
>not sure how I'm seeing it now. In any case, switched to Python 2.6 and
>installed unittest2, and python/run-tests seems to be unblocked.
>- `./dev/run-tests` again [10]: finally passes!
>
>This was on a spark checkout at ceb6281 (ToT Friday), with a few trivial
>changes added on (that I wanted to test before sending out a PR), on a
>macbook running OSX Yosemite (10.10.1), java 1.8 and mvn 3.2.3 [11].
>
>Meanwhile, on a linux 2.6.32 / CentOS 6.4 machine, I tried similar
>commands
>from the same repo state:
>
>- `./dev/run-tests` [12]: YarnClusterSuite failure.
>- `./dev/run-tests` [13]: same YarnClusterSuite failure. I know I've seen
>this one before on this machine and am guessing it actually occurs every
>time.
>- `./dev/run-tests` [14]: to be sure, I reverted my changes, ran one more
>time from ceb6281, and saw the same failure.
>
>This was with java 1.7 and maven 3.2.3 [15]. In one final attempt to
>narrow
>down the linux YarnClusterSuite failure, I ran `./dev/run-tests` on my
> [...]

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.