Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jihoon Kim <ji...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/06 02:45:04 UTC

The content of this email => SubProject wannabe, else advice please.

Brief Intro and Reason for Email  =>
Hi my name is Ji [a.k.a. G, will be 24 by the end of the year] and as
I desired to contribute/participate in the Apache community, I
ventured out in searching for the most appropriate group that I can
be a part of and the journey led me to Apache MyFaces,
LLC [laugh like crazy]....is it too much of a cliche though?????
G wonders............
{One thing to note please if and while you read on.  Though I have
started reading much about JSF after deciding to write this email,
I have only gone through a high level concept from the java.sun.com
tutorial, so my knowledge may be limited........continuing
to read though and diminishing that gap}

Oh yes, my primary desire was to span off a subproject under
myFaces [which explains the length of this email] and if not to join
myFaces, but of course I would ask to join after I finished my
reading and my learning =).

My Desired Work  =>
Anyway.........what I wanted to do was somewhat of a component
structure similar to JSF, but the difference was that my work/model
revolved around manipulation of the structure through Java classes
and its corresponding .js files [meaning creating the Java instance
in an another class and using it to populate/manipulate the data
which later will be flushed out to the JSP to be used for creation
of javascript objects].
For instance, I have a base abstract class
org.JscriptComponent.JscriptElements.DataStructure which creates,
suprisingly, the datastructure needed for other java
sub classes [i.e. org.JscriptComponent.JscriptElements.TableStructure].

[DataStructure class was created so to improve the sorting, searching,
and other method calls to bring better process logic {i.e.
O[(n)log(n)], O[log(n)], and O[1]}, allocation of memory, and design
within the javascript objects.]

In a nutshell, the classes provide APIs which allow manipulation of a
StringBuffer instance to which to flush out to the JSP.  Also, for each
class there does exist a corresponding .js file [i.e. DataStructure.js
and TableStructure.js] to allow one to one mapping.  However, as what
I truly desire is to have a complete component structure like JSF, I
wish to have the capabilities [sorting the table, simulating a table of
greater size than the row provided, css, and etceteras] through
Interfaces that the classes can implement and have portions of .js
created for that javascript objects with the name of methods being
altered through randomly seeded value.

Implemented?  =>
Though, it was somewhat of a similar concept [but less component wise]
I did perform something similar within my organization and it did span
off to the production environment in the month of April.  This project
included various back end services and my UI was created through Java
classes, JSPS, and .js files.  Seeing that it was quite Kewl and
appealing to the business people, I thought to work on it during my
spare time during weekeneds and weekdays.  During this time I did
create some small projects for fun, for presentations, and for
polishing my coding skill and thought it would be better if I
attempted to get it to be approved by the Apache people rather
than letting the code sit in my laptop.  It of course will give
me more incentive in creating a much better project,
<8^)  => this one looks kind of funky though...

Reason for the Project =>
This section is rather short.  I realized that many people did not
enjoy writing javascript, so I thought this would be fun and rather
interesting.  Furthermore, since this will allow the user
to create javascript objects without any knowledge of javascript,
I thought it would be quite attractive to those group of people who
do not wish to engage in experimenting with javascript and prefer
to stay within their area of interest [namely Java].  For the needed
datastructures and objects would be created through Java
classes [giving the developer the abstraction].
     Because of the Latest Hype :
                 By having object orientated structure on the client
                 side, modification of the structure would be easy
                 whenever doing Ajax and whenever you retrieve and
                 update the syndicate information.

Similar but Different from following Projects  =>
	JSF :  Although I wish to have component structure as
		JSF, my goal is to have the user interaction
		remain mostly on the client side [i.e. to have
		validation done on the front end as I did with
		the spanned off project in my org]
	DWA :  => from brief read, it seems this project mainly
		focuses on Ajax through Java code and event
		handling model, but my focus is not specifically
		in Ajax [though it includes it], but in
		javascript objects created for fancy stuff
		and allowing those fields to be created through
		Java classes and tags.
	Dojo : => alleviates the pain of javascripting with
		its own package of .js files
		I wish to make the developer oblivious to
		any amount of javascript as possible, by allowing
		them to create through Java classes.

If my thought does somewhat seem appealing, can I send those who
are interested an alpha version of DataStructure, TableStructure,
and their corresponding .js files?

One more request, if you think this project does not have any
potential can I have one of the following feedback?  =>
        * what was the flaw and where should I improve my thinking
          process
        * a direction to where I should go

If the request comes to be of the second [project does not having
any potential], G will strike back after thoroughly reading all
the documentations in the java.sun.com tutorial and within the
MyFaces site.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...continued on the next line...