Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Gale <Mi...@pason.com> on 2011/01/05 23:35:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Reserve http slot for server-status?

Hello,

    We pull http://server-name/server-status for information however on occasion we have hit max clients and no open slots are available.

Now usually this is caused by the failure of a backend service or DOS attempts and when this happens we lose access to the stats information. Is there a way to reserve a http slot for access to server-stats?

Michael

Re: [users@httpd] Reserve http slot for server-status?

Posted by Torsten Förtsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Wednesday, January 05, 2011 23:52:01 Eric Covener wrote:
> There's also a tool somewhere that parses the ScoreBoardFile if you
> use a physical file and gives you server-status like information.

e.g. my perl module http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Apache2::ScoreBoardFile

Torsten Förtsch

Like fantasy? http://kabatinte.net

Re: [users@httpd] Reserve http slot for server-status?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Reserve http slot for server-status?

Posted by Justin Pasher <ju...@distribion.com>.
> on occasion we have hit max clients and no open slots are available.
>

> Now usually this is caused by the failure of a backend service or DOS
> attempts and when this happens we lose access to the stats
> information. Is there a way to reserve a http slot for access to
> server-stats?
>

> Michael

I don't think there is a way to "reserve" spot in Apache, but you can
check out this app if you're on Linux. It reads the scoreboard file
instead of opening an HTTP connection, so it should always be available.
And if you run the program using the "watch" command, you can have a
pseudo-"top" program for viewing apache connections.

http://fabletech.com/ftss

--
Justin Pasher

Re: [users@httpd] Reserve http slot for server-status?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Michael Gale <Mi...@pason.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

>     We pull http://server-name/server-status for information however on
> occasion we have hit max clients and no open slots are available.
>

> Now usually this is caused by the failure of a backend service or DOS
> attempts and when this happens we lose access to the stats information. Is
> there a way to reserve a http slot for access to server-stats?

http://people.apache.org/~trawick/mod_backdoor.txt
http://people.apache.org/~trawick/mod_backdoor.c

(I haven't used it in "a while" ;) )