Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Sumit Pandit <su...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/06/13 15:45:27 UTC

Proposal to setup a new SecurityGroup for Accounting component.

Hello Devs,

I would like to propose setup of a new  SecurityGroup which is
dedicated to OFBiz Accounting component only. It will assigned by all
SecurityPermission which are required to handle variuos accounting
operations. Purpose of this will be to be able to create a UserLogin,
who will have restricted access to Accounting component only.

It will reflect to changes in following entities  -
create a new SecurityGroup and assign all associated
SecurityPermission to it.
Create a new UserLogin and assign SecurityGroup to him.
Additional suggestion - Create a new PartyRole - "ACCOUNTANT",  child
of Role - "EMPLOYEE".

Thoughts?

Thanks And Regards
Sumit Pandit

Re: Proposal to setup a new SecurityGroup for Accounting component.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jun 15, 2009, at 1:04 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> We don't really have requirements for the current applications and
> security groups and permissions and such, and in fact these things
> weren't created based on a certain set of requirements but instead
> evolved over time.
>
> I might be wrong, but I think it will be easier to start with
> requirements and move forward than to start with the implementation
> (ie OFBiz as it is now) and move backward. In other words, something
> along the lines of what is described here:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBREQDES/UBPL+Introduction
>
> -David

Starting from requirements is of course the best way to do this; but
we have already several groups in place, whose initial meaning
possibly evolved over time to the point where they could be complete/
incomplete/invalid... but we don't really know because no one
documented them. I see some value in trying to document/fix/use them
right now, waiting for the new ones coming out of the UBPL effort. We
should also start to look at the actors coming out of the UBPL because
they will be good candidates for demo users/roles.

What I think it is important about the UBPL effort is that we should
do this following a lightweight approach where we will follow many
requirements/review(of existing stuff)&design(for stuff that is
missing)/development cycles and not a big effort where we put together
all the requirements of the ERP system, then we do the design etc... I
am saying this because we have the luck of already having a system
already in place and we are not planning to redo everything, but
instead to reuse and customize stuff to implement more specialized
applications.

Jacopo

Re: Proposal to setup a new SecurityGroup for Accounting component.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Mridul Pathak <mr...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On 15-Jun-09, at 3:20 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Mridul Pathak wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>>   We have documentation on OFBiz wiki where various Actors and
>> their roles have been defined.  These are the Actors which are
>> meant to use OFBiz backend applications.  Each Actor has some
>> specific role, and he executes a certain business process.  For
>> example, a buyer places purchase order, or a packer packs inventory
>> into boxes for shipping.  There are many such actors which have
>> been defined, and in many cases the business process associated
>> with them is also defined.  They are standard to every
>> organization, though some of them may vary slightly from
>> organization to organization.
>>
>>   What I am actually thinking here is that we should be able to
>> apply security on "Actor/Business Process" combination.  Like for a
>> buyer, we can have a specific security group, which allows only
>> purchase order placement and nothing else.  Or for packer, only
>> those security permissions should be assigned which just allows him
>> to pack inventory into boxes for shipping, that is to complete his
>> business process, and he shouldn't be able to control other parts
>> of the facility application.
>>
>>   These security groups may exist as seed data and can be used by
>> any organization OOTB.  Or, if it is not a good idea to keep them
>> as seed data, they can still exist as demo data.  Also, this effort
>> can help us evaluating OFBiz Security Model, that how far on the
>> business process level we can apply the security, and then we can
>> go for improvements if found any.
>
> Thank you. This is good, in fact it's very good and I think it is
> consistent with what we want to do in OFBiz.
>
>>    If what I am proposing here makes sense, we can think about my
>> last proposal as an initial start toward this effort.  We can start
>> with defining application specific security groups.  So that if
>> someone has permissions only for a Order Manager application, he
>> won't be able to control other applications.
>
> Isn't this the exact opposite of what you described above?
>
> The reason I say that is that the base applications are organized
> according to general business concepts that make up the way the data
> is organized, and they have little to do with processes. In fact,
> because the base application are organized this way  most business
> processes will actually need to go across the various base
> applications.
>
> The existing security groups are probably close to the definitions
> of actors than a security group for each application would be.
> Because of that I think that doing so would actually be a step
> backwards, both in theory and in practicality.

     I agree with you.   The reason for this proposal was that
sometimes organization may not want to use the complete backend
functionality and are mostly concerned with their Ecommerce
application, and also may not want to be very specific about Actor's
and their roles.  They may just want to have some administrators who
will work on a set of backend applications, for example just Order
Manager and Party Manager.  Currently, FULLADMIN gives permission for
all the applications.  So idea here was to have granular application
specific security groups, just in case if we want to assign someone
complete permissions for only a set of applications.
     Though, with the way OFBiz applications are interrelated, I am
not sure if this would work or not.

--
Mridul Pathak

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.